Batternberg cake. anyone remembers this?

Page 2 / 2
biggles45, Nov 19, 10:48pm
Sorry only just seen this.
Boiled Fruit Cake.
125g marg/butter
175g sugar
175g currants
175g sultanas
50g candied peel (I just use mixed fruit instead of wieghing out seperate fruits)
225ml water
1 tsp bicarb
1 tsp mixed spice
2 beaten eggs
125g plain flour
125g self raising flour
Pinch of salt

Heat oven to 180.
Put marg, sugar, fruit, water, bicarb and spice in a large saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for a couple of minutes. Leave to cool.
Line 7 inch square or 8 inch round baking tin (I use a round silicon one so don't line or grease it, I think it is 20cms)
Add beaten eggs, flours, salt to cool mixture. Mix well and pour into baking tin. It looks a bit lumpy as if the flour hasn't mixed in, but is fine once cooked. Recipe says bake in centre of oven for 1 - 1.25 hours, in my oven it only takes about 3/4 hr, so I would test it then and keep an eye on it.

It never fails, is moist and keeps really well, in fact it is better when made a few days before needed.

kinna54, Nov 19, 11:35pm
Korbo we used to buy it at an old cake shop in Napier.many moons ago.Reeves bakery. I have seen it once in Palmy at Golden Tulip bakery, and think I may have come across it in The Brown Owl in Napier.

biggles45, Nov 20, 7:56am
Bump for indy95

nauru, Nov 20, 8:08am
The Golden Tulip, is that the bakery in Broadway by the Regent Theatre!They used to sell a small cake (named knuckelbones) similar to Battenburg. It was sponge covered in marzipan and each end dipped in chocolate, not sure if they still make them.

dollmakernz, Nov 21, 5:30am
This lots making my mouth water and brings back memories of the Bartons Baker van that used to call every week when I was a kid in Essex. We got a Battenburg every week, and if Mum was flush, we would get into the van and pick out half a doz fancies. To us kids it was like going into Willy Wonka's factory! LOL! Shelves lined with tiny cakes and fresh bread.
My favourite was a wee square of plain sponge that had a thin coating of butter cream round it and then wrapped in petals of green marzipan and anther swirl of butter cream on top of the sponge! Great memories!

biggles45, Nov 21, 5:37am
Oh yummy! Mum used to do all the baking at home so no bought cakes, but I occasionally used to get taken to town for afternoon tea when I was 10 yrs and upwards, by my very victorian granny. It was always a cup of tea (in china cups of course) and a 3 tier plate with a choice of yummy cream cakes!

kinna54, Nov 21, 6:42am
yes nauru that's the one.and as far as I know they still do the knucklebones.

harrislucinda, Nov 21, 9:13am
theyhavejustmade thisinthebakeoffprogrameonprime

nauru, Nov 23, 12:56am
That's a blast from the past, we used to have these in the UK too, they were called cauliflower cakes. The little cake was round but decorated the same way as you have described.

daleaway, Nov 23, 3:50am
#29, those "knucklebones" are a well-known Dutch confection whose name translates as "Marrowbones" (Mergpijpjes).

You can buy packets of them at most Dutch shops and they are of good quality. If you want to make your own, there are recipes online.