How do you make your raw fish salad?

antoniab, Nov 4, 5:33am
Hubby has been fishing and I want to make some. My Mum has a recipe that she does but I got some at Clevdon markets the other day that was AMAZING! Think it had coconut milk and lemon juice obviously, as well as celery, tomato and a bit of grated carrot was nicer than the stuff my Mum makes but possibly because it was seasoned and my Mum doesnt use salt in her cooking. Anything else I should add!

unknowndisorder, Nov 4, 6:21am
Onion and/or spring onion

karenz, Nov 4, 6:23am
I marinate the fish in lemon juice for a few hours or preferably overnight, drain and add coconut milk, a little grated onion, finely chopped cucumber and red capsicum, I also add some of the marinade back in or squeeze more fresh lemon in. I also add a little salt.

antoniab, Nov 4, 6:31pm
Thanks people - had posted this in general too and got over 20 replies lol think I might post all my foodie queries in there from now on

bid-warz, Nov 4, 6:48pm
I dice the fish, salt and pepper and then only add lemon for as long as it takes me to chop up the tomatoes, onion, and spring onion add them and dose with coconut cream - kara's is the best.If left in lemon too long its cooked fish not raw fish.

buyerholics, Nov 4, 10:35pm
Try and get trevally, its the BEST for raw fish salad IMO.
Marinate in lemon juice or white vinegar for 4 hours at least.
Drain and rinse.
I find it yummier to shred the fish thinly rather than in cubes.
Then add coconut cream, tomatoes, spring onion, celery, cucumber and chilli flakes. yummo!

vinee, Nov 5, 6:22pm
My island friend taught me and she said lots of salt!
Also you can marinade it but I prefer it eaten straight away and that's how she does it too.
Otherwise as above for ingredients.
It's one of those everyone does it different recipes, so you can pick and choose what you like, op.

bisloy, Nov 5, 10:25pm
Oranges are nice in it too and onions - that all I put with mine, other than the lemon and coconut cream

uli, Nov 5, 10:55pm
You definitely need salt in raw fish - it draws the moisture out of the fish and keeps it from going off. Plus lemon or lime juice to cover fish. Keep in fridge over night. Ready the next day.

In Italy the fresh anchovies fillets are done that way, drained in the morning and simply drizzled with olive oil and eaten with fresh bread and tomatoes for breakfast or lunch.