Southern Cheese Rolls.

Page 1 / 2
cookiebarrel, Nov 2, 10:43am
Wanting to get closer to my cultural roots decided to do some of their traditional baking.First on the list was the above Southern Cheese Rolls.maybe I am to far removed from my roots here as they didn't turn out like the piccie I have of them.I couldn't get them to rollup neatly or stay rolled up.Now I have to admit I did change the recipe a bit, instead of the reduced cream, soup mix and cheese, I used a slice of 4x4 ham and a Mainland colby cheese slice in them.Could it be that I didn't have the stickiness needed from the reduced cream mixture or something else!Has anyone any suggestions as to where I went wrong!Really would like to get these right before I start on the Haggis ;-)

daisyhill, Nov 2, 10:46am
Just a wild guess, but I'd say you went wrong when you replaced the original ingredients with your own, which don't seem nearly as sticky.

cookiebarrel, Nov 2, 10:56am
Thanks daisyhill, thought that is were I went wrong.Silly North Islander I am :-(

suzanna, Nov 2, 9:45pm

elliehen, Nov 2, 10:00pm
Sounds as though you simply made a toasted cheese & ham sandwich and rolled it up - quite a different beast ;)

nik12, Nov 3, 12:55am
*this* lol.They can be done with just grated cheese, but the sticky cheese mixture does work the best.

accroul, Nov 3, 1:36am
I read the other day that cutting off the top & bottom crusts will make them easier to roll too.

245sam, Nov 3, 1:45am
Yes, I have found that to be the case and also IMO the bread is best (easiest to roll) if really fresh.:-))

elliehen, Nov 3, 2:04am
That's also a good hint for rolling a sponge.If you cut off one long edge, it will roll easily without splaying out and cracking.I now trim a tiny edge from both long sides.

cookiebarrel, Nov 3, 3:39am
Thanks for the advice guys.Know I should have kept closer to the original recipes, but wasn't sure #1 son would like the dip mix heated with the cheese.Will definatly try them again the 'proper' way and if son doesn't like them at least the dogs will get a yummy treat!My sincerest apologies to my ancestors.Oh and the article on them kindly posted in the link by suzanna says not to cut the crusts off for the authentic Southern cheese roll:-)

mumstu, Nov 3, 4:11am
ooooh yum, now I feel like a cheese roll.mmmm with a bit of garlic butter on under the grill to toast and then dunk it in some pumpkin soup.

kay141, Nov 3, 4:33am
I roll the bread with a rolling pin before filling. Sandwich bread does not seem to be as thinly sliced as it used to be. One of our local bakers will slice a loaf thinly for me but it is still not the same as the sandwich bread we used to get down south. Slices are smaller too.

bridget107, Nov 3, 7:41am

nik12, Nov 3, 8:31am
I cut one side off the bread, side that's going to end up in the middle.I find then I get more of the cheesy sensation and they are easier to roll.
I don't 'really' roll them though, it's more a three times fold.Then they only have two sides to grill and stack nicely in a bag in the freezer.

cmjbp, Nov 3, 9:04am
This looks great, but what about the cooking instructions!

bridget107, Nov 3, 9:06am
180 degrees for 20 minutes.

cmjbp, Nov 3, 9:07am
Thanks! :-)

cookiebarrel, Nov 3, 10:43am
This is the site I got my recipe from bridget107, but mine didn't look as neat and like I said I didn't have the reduced cream and stuff, so as I was so keen to try them I did a Northerners way of doing it and stuffed up big time.Like elliehen said, really just a rolled up cheese and ham toasted sandwich, not a Southern Cheese Roll at all.shame on me, but I did spread it well with Mainland butter so maybe I will be forgiven sometime ;-)

ry5, Nov 3, 11:50am
A really easy recipe is to grate some cheese into a bowl, add a sprinkle of onion salt and enough boiling water to make a spread.Let it cool in the fridge then spread on your bread & roll up.Melts all gooey and yummy.

janny3, Nov 3, 12:17pm
Am a huge fan of these so was delighted when Radio NZ had recipes and a regular discussion http://www.radionz.co.nz/genre/recipes/ultimate-southern-cheese-roll
Hope this helps.

cookiebarrel, Nov 4, 3:11am
Thanks again all.

mackenzie2, Nov 4, 9:54pm
I have never used reduced creamin mine, will have to try that I always use evaporated milk, a pkt of bacon and onion soup mix, and then half a cup of grated cheese, I cut three crusts of and rollthe crusted side first (so that it is hidden on the inside, but gives it a bit of strength when rolling. I always freeze them, not sure why I bother though, they always seem to be eaten with in days!

rainrain1, Nov 4, 10:15pm
Fine chopped onion is way nicer

kernal1, Nov 5, 6:15am
What is the problem apart from making harder for yourself! Use whatever recipe you fancy, cut crusts off if you like or leave on. Roll straight, even on an angle.if bread not 100% fresh pop in Microwave for about 30 secs. Spread mixture on one edge, roll up and seal with marg! (Only time I use as a butter person!) Freeze for later use or cook within 24hrs, smouthered with butter! Pkt of grated cheese, onion soup or whatever takes your fancy, ideal milk, reduced cream, even straight milk, warm to mix. This makes at least 2 loaves of bread. More cheese the better, again choice not that important.
Make life easy for yourself, enjoy.a great SI.maybe lower South!

flower-child01, Nov 5, 8:14am
Yet here is me a Southern Belle who prefers her cheese rolls made the following way:

Cheese rolls

300g mild cheese, grated
1/4 small onion, finely chopped
pinch dry mustard
black pepper
80ml hot milk
bread slices

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, using a potato masher to combine.
Spread the mixture on bread slices and roll up.
Toast by grill in the oven, turning when brown on one side.
Spread with butter to serve.