Is it cheaper to mix your own Gluten Free Flour

carter19, Nov 1, 5:55am
or to buy the premade! If is cheaper to mix it yourself, could someone please tell me their tried and true mix for baking. I have tried various mixxes and find the food dry. Given the comments I have been reading, I gather its me. Also are there and NZGF books for baking that are worth buying as in, do they have typical family baking! I need to look online as we have no bookshops within cooey here.

geldof, Nov 1, 5:59am
Yes definitely cheaper.Just be careful where you buy from to avoid cross contamination.

I can post a basic blend that works for most things.
Pastry requires a different blend.

geldof, Nov 1, 6:03am
Basic blend (use any measuring utensil, eg cup, tbsp depending on quantity needed)

2 parts White rice flour
2 parts potato starch/flour
1 part cornflour.

I would truly recommend that you get Sarah Kings new book if you are keen on baking.There is nothing in it that I wouldn't make.Good basic GF baking and pastry.
I'll find the link for you.

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Family-friendly-Gluten-free-Cookbook-Sarah-King-Devin-Hart-Photographs-by/9781869663636

carter19, Nov 1, 6:41am
Thank you very much.

village.green, Nov 2, 7:25am
Alison Holst has a little (one of those small $10 ones) Gluten Free cookery book that I bought a year or so ago. Very easy basic recipes using similar ingredients to geldof's flour.