What are you going to cook for xmas?

Page 1 / 2
stefanie, Oct 31, 10:21pm
We usually have stuffed turkey, but will go camping this year.

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:35pm
pavlova.large

Beat until thick and smooth .approx 15 mins
6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water.,
Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:35pm
Banana salad

Main meal
Slice very ripe bananas, toss in a little lemon,juice. throw in a handful or two coconut ribbons. [ usually a bulk food product.]
Dress with sour cream, loosened with milk.

Dessert
If any over from the main add pineapple pieces, marshmallow's, a bit of juice from the pineapple.

Dress with yogurt, for a lighter option.

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:36pm
cheese cake.two.
This recipe makes two good sized cakes, would serve 24 easy. crumb base.1 pkt wine biscuits crushed 150 grams of melted butter. Put into the bottom of two round sponge tins, chill. custard .,heat in a double boiler 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of sugar ,pinch of salt, grated rind of 1 lemon, 4 egg yolks. till thick, cool. dissolve 2 Tblsp gelatine in 3 Tblsp water, mix into cool custard. cream 450 grams of cream cheese juice of the lemon, add custard and fold in with, 450 mls of whipped cream. set in fridge. Top with cream and anything you fancy. Enjoy.

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:37pm
Trifle ###### first timers
If you have never made a trifle before, here is a very simple recipe .
Split a trifle sponge in half-----jam both sides, place sliced peaches over one piece, scatter some chopped walnuts over and put the other piece of sponge on top.Cut it into 2 cm squares, scatter into a serving dish and splash over 1/4-1/2 a can of ginger-ale[ do not swamp it, [better to be a little dry, than wet] Pour over custard, using a knife to make holes for the custard to get right into the sponge.leave to set, cover with cling wrap, put in fridge to chill , Smother with whipped cream to serve.If You are up to it, freeze what you may have left and use for New Year.I put up first timers , it is so easy. if you wish you could buy the custard to make this trifle.I always serve jelly separate

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:38pm
Bean salad#############Dressing

I buy cans of cooked beans for this.
I try and keep 2 cans in the fridge, all the time.
Dressing.Simmer, 1 1/4 cups of malt vinegar,
1/2 cup of brown sugar,
1/2 cup of water,
1 Tbsp honey,
1 Tbsp oil,
1 1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
pepper to taste.
cool.
Pour over drained beans, try and leave the salad in the fridge a while before using.

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:41pm
whole egg mayonnaise

1 whole egg
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
150 mils of sunflower oil
150 mils of canola oil
You will need a stick blender and a tall beaker to make this mayonnaise.
Put the egg into the beaker first
Put the other ingredients carefully on top of the egg, so as not to disturb the egg.
Lower the stick blender in to the bottom without disturbing the ingredients.
Pulse the blender, until the ingredients start to emulsify, tilt the blender to allow the oil to be incorporated.

seafood sauce

1 cup of mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of tomato sauce
3 drops of Tabasco sauce
1/2 a cup of whipped cream, lightly folded in.
Chill

Tartare sauce

1 cup of mayonnaise
1 tablespoon capers chopped;
1 tablespoon of gherkins chopped,
1 tablespoon of parsley chopped.
Chill

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:41pm
Egg Salad

Hard boil as many eggs as you need
Shell and cut into 1/4's
Put into a bowl along with chunks of celery
Dress with sour cream loosened with milk
Season with salt and pepper.
Cover, chill well.

You could use yogurt dressing if you wish
Remember to keep egg salad covered at all times.

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:42pm
egg yolk custard

put into a bowl
6 egg yolks, 1/3 cup of cornflour, whisk in 1 cup of milk.
set aside.
Put in a saucepan
1 & 1/4 cups of whole milk, 2 tsp vanilla
sprinkle over the milk 2/3 cup of sugar
Do not stir, put on stove and watch for it to simmer.
Add a little hot milk into the cold, while whisking, maybe half, then pour it back into the saucepan, return to the heat. I turned my element down by 1/4.
stir with a wooden spoon until it is nice and thick.
This custard sets real fast, as soon as I noticed it thickening I removed it from the stove, kept whisking while it finished cooking.
I have covered it with cling film to stop it skinning over

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:44pm
Low Calorie salad dressing.

1 cup vinegar. I used my own vinegar. white vinegar would be nice.
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of chopped mint leaves
1/2 tsp hot English mustard
1/4 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
##bring to boil then thicken using
2 level Tbsp cornflour
3 Tbsp vinegar
3 Tbsp water
##add 1 tsp of Sucaryl.
stir while it cools.

I have just made this, tastes good. I will keep you posted, as to how long it will keep.
This was superb on a lamb salad. It will be just as nice used as a dressing for any green salad, or new potato salad.

pickles7, Oct 31, 11:50pm
2 very nice cray fish, cooked fresh if I can buy them Christmas eve.
King Prawns, oysters, mussels, all chilled. "no ham" my husband has said
Tossed green salad
Stuffed eggs
I'm done, hardly any cooking at all this year.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 1, 12:02am
I'm looking to cook duck breasts with blackberry sauce this year. There'll be ham as well.

claudds, Nov 1, 12:03am
luvlyrecipespickles7especiallytrifleiamnogoodbutitseems
prettygoodtoaduncelikeme.youhaveputabeautifull lotof
menuesanyoneshouldbeabletomake.makeatrialrunfirst.
xmasgreetingstoandall.

gingercrush, Nov 1, 12:28am
Seafood cocktail. Due to half the people liking minimum amounts of seafood. It'll basically be shrimps and surimi.

Cheese Board with pate cause I love it.

Main likely to be a big chicken though I'm rather keen for cooked ham this year.

Pudding will not be trifle cause i can't stand it.

korbo, Nov 1, 1:15am
nothing.as I am taking a break from doing christmas dinner of 35yrs.
Hoping to go to a lovely place, and be waited on.no prep, no dishes, just sit back and enjoy myself.

lilyfield, Nov 1, 1:25am
Nothing - suits me. not allowed after recent health scare.
My treatwill be olives and feta cheese.

sarahb5, Nov 1, 1:57am
Absolutely no idea at this stage - don't usually start planning Christmas meals until at least December but will keep an eye on these threads for some ideas.I'm tempted to do something different but some of the traditional dishes are such favourites I can't decide.

sarahb5, Nov 1, 1:57am
Absolutely no idea at this stage - don't usually start planning Christmas meals until at least December but will keep an eye on these threads for some ideas.I'm tempted to do something different but some of the traditional dishes are such favourites I can't decide.

ETA - there will be pavlova and tiramisu but no Christmas pudding or Christmas cake .

iriegirl, Nov 1, 2:18am
Thanks for the reminder, must pre-order my havoc ham, mmmm

lythande1, Nov 1, 2:33am
Just nibbles. No-one ever wants to sit around stuffing themselves and I don't want to be cooking enormous piles of food no-one is interested in anyway.
Did it last year, do it every year from now on.
Might go to the beach.

stefanie, Nov 1, 5:22am
Thanks pickles for all the recipes.
It's only going to be the 2 of us and we only have a portable bbq to cook on.
It's probably going to be a fillet.

dibble35, Nov 1, 7:06pm
I like the sound of pickles bean salad and egg salad, will give them a go this year. most of my family just want to keep it simple, some yummy salads and a quality cold ham on the bone. Lots of yummy puds, all cold so no-one having to spend lots of time in the kitchen when everyones there, just have to prepare them earlier then can relax and enjoy the day.

camper18, Nov 1, 9:15pm
Have no idea yet as will be on the road in M/H in Sth Is and will meet up with friends already touring. Whereever we land up on Xmas Eve is where we will have pot luck dinner. Have done this twice before and its awsome as there are usually other M/H-ers who like to join in and we have a ball.
Had an English lady join us last time and she reckoned it was the best Xmas she had ever had.

usualsuspect, Nov 2, 5:29am
baking the christmas cake tomorrow as hosting christmas this year so at least the cake will be made by me.most likely to be seafood/prawn cocktail turkey ham new spuds baby carrots and fresh shelled peas and a traditional salad cause we always have a salad dessert will be jelly fresh fruit salad a christmas log made from the chocolate chippies dipped in oj or sherry joined with cream and smothered in cream on the outside with chocolate shavings on top trifle and an option of plum duff and custard.brandy butter for those who like that.christmas cake mince pies after dinner mints etc with good coffee or tea.and then waddle off and have a sleep!

caitlin, Nov 2, 6:51am
Bacon,banana and avocado salad is always a staple for us.I remember when my mother first suggested it, i thought it sounded disgusting, but it really is super delicious!

Avocado, Bacon & Banana Salad

1 large bunch washed spinach leaves
3 rashers bacon, diced & cooked until crisp
2 firm bananas, sliced thinly on the diagonal
1 large avocado, cut into wedges

Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
2tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp sugar

Toss spinach in 3/4 dressing, and lightly mix through about half of the banana, bacon & avocados.
Arrange on a platter, garnish with remaining ingredients, and spoon over the rest of the dressing.