Date & Orange Muffins

campmother2002, Oct 29, 10:58pm
Does anyone have a Recipe for these and yes, I have searched in the box to the left with no success.Something similar would suffice.TIA

carlosjackal, Oct 29, 11:02pm
Not a recipe for Date and orange but I do I have a lovely recipe for Fig and Orange muffins that I can post if you like.

campmother2002, Oct 29, 11:12pm
Thanks - I guess I could substitute the Figs for the Dates!

carlosjackal, Oct 29, 11:30pm
Yes, you could very easily. That's the beauty of making muffins really; you can experiment with different ingredients so long as you adhere to the basic ratio of 1/4 cup butter (or oil), 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk and 21/2 cups self-raising flour.

FIG AND ORANGE MUFFINS

Wet Mix:
 ½ cup oil
 ½ cup caster sugar
 2 eggs
 ½ cup milk
 ½ cup orange juice
 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
 1 cup chopped dried figs

 OPTIONAL:½ cup of chopped ginger added to the wet mix

Dry Mix:
 2 ½ cups self-raising flour
 ¼ teaspoon baking soda

Method:
Preheat the oven and grease the muffin pans.
Thoroughly blend all the wet mix ingredients – lastly adding the figs.
Gently fold the dry mix into the wet mix.
Place heaped spoonfuls of mixture into the prepared pans and bake
at 200’C for20-25 minutes

245sam, Oct 29, 11:44pm
DATE & ORANGE MUFFINS – from the “Muffin Bible”

1 orange, peeled and quartered
½ cup orange juice
1 egg
100g butter, melted
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup sugar
½ cup chopped dates

Place orange in food processor and process until pulp.Add orange juice, egg and melted butter, and combine.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar.Add mixture from processor to dry ingredients.Add chopped dates and mix until just combined.
Three-quarters fill greased muffin pans.
Bake at190ºCfor15 minutes, or until cooked.:-))

village.green, Oct 29, 11:49pm
I have a recipe from Alison Holst although it is called: 'Golden Orange Muffins'. I last made it a fortnight ago and even though I am not a muffin fan, this is an amazing recipe. Very very good.

1 orange (about 200g)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk or orange juice
100g butter melted

1.5 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sultanas or chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Cut the unpeeled orange into quarters and then each quarter into four. Put the chopped orange(skin and flesh) and sugar into food processor and process with metal chopping blade until very finely chopped.
Add the egg, milk or juice and melted butter and process until combined.

Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl tip in the orange mixture, sprinkle the sultanas or dates over it, add the nuts if using them, then taking care not to overmix, fold everything together, stopping as soon as the dry ingredients are dampened.
Bake 200oC 10-15 mins until golden brown.
(the thing I like about this recipe is that they are moist and bursting with flavour from using the whole orange)

village.green, Oct 29, 11:50pm
245sam beat me to it and it looks almost the same recipe.
Good luck with that they are really worth trying out.

campmother2002, Oct 30, 12:02am
Thanks very much ladies.I have copy and pasted all Recipes.much appreciated.

susieq9, Oct 30, 8:59am
I make orange and date muffins every week, using the whole orange. If you want the recipe let me know. they are really easy and tasty.

carlosjackal, Oct 30, 9:09am
This is not my thread (I'm not the OP) but would love your recipe using a whole orange.

village.green, Oct 30, 9:52am
The one I posted above uses the whole orange also the one 245sam posted although their's doesn't use the skin.
Would love to see another recipe also, then I'll try it on the kids.

susieq9, Oct 30, 8:30pm
I whole orange, 1/2 cup chopped dates, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup canola oil, 3/4 cup yoghurt (I use a whole tub and any flavour I have), 1 1/2 cups self raising flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, pinch salt.Roughly chop up orange and process in food processor until finely chopped.Add yoghurt, egg, sugar, oil and mix well. Put rest of ingrediants in a bowl and add liquids.Mix lightly.Bake 15 minutes, 200C.Can add chocolate chips for a change . This is a real favorite of ours. Enjoy.

campmother2002, Oct 31, 9:00am
Thanks susieq9 - I will copy and paste your Recipe too, like the look of yours too!
Thanks

bridget107, Nov 3, 9:28am