Liquid Smoke when cooking steaks?

beebs, Oct 23, 11:46pm
Hi we were in aussy recently and had a couple of steaks at different places, and they werer beautiful and really bbq-t woody flavoured, but even allowing for a bbq type grill in the kitchen they seemed to be flavoured, do you think it would have been liquid smoke, that would have enhanced the bbq-ish type flavour, any ideas appreciated.

carlosjackal, Oct 24, 4:03am
I buy Wright's All Natural Hickory Seasoning - Liquid Smoke (concentrated) through E-bay as I have never seen it to buy here. While on holiday in Hawaii a couple of years ago I ordered a Hickory Smoke Beef Hamburger from the Hard Rock Cafe and it was DeeeeeeVine! I sourced some Hickory Smoke and bought some home - ever since I've been buying it off E-bay. We have put several friends of ours on to it and now they too are buying it (from E-bay).

carlosjackal, Oct 24, 4:03am
I buy Wright's All Natural Hickory Seasoning - Liquid Smoke (concentrated) through E-bay as I have never seen it to buy here. While on holiday in Hawaii a couple of years ago I ordered a Hickory Smoke Beef Hamburger from the Hard Rock Cafe and it was DeeeeeeVine! I sourced some Hickory Smoke and bought some home - ever since I've been buying it off E-bay. We have put several friends of ours on to it and now they too are buying it (from E-bay).

Sometimes I add a couple of drops to a marinade - really nice! You can buy the Hickory Smoke BBQ sauce here but not the liquid smoke (or atleast not as far as I'm aware).

karenz, Oct 24, 5:05am
I bought some Hickory Liquid Smoke from a craft fair, it is made by Adventure Kitchen which is based in Nelson, says it is an all natural distillation of hickory smoke, I have not used it yet
their website is www.nelson-naturally@xtra.co.nz

karenz, Oct 24, 5:05am
I bought some Hickory Liquid Smoke from a craft fair, it is made by Adventure Kitchen which is based in Nelson, says it is an all natural distillation of hickory smoke, I have not used it yet
their website is http://www.nelson-naturally.co.nz/liquidsmoke.aspx

vinee, Oct 24, 5:06am
Prenzels do a Manuka smoked salt too.

cookessentials, Oct 24, 8:08am

ferita, Oct 24, 8:12am
Masterfoods Marinade Smokey BBQ

Thats what a lot of places use in Australia. They use it in a lot of restaurants and pubs etc on the steaks

beebs, Oct 24, 8:49pm
thanks guys!

antoniab, Oct 25, 2:18am
You can get liquid manuka smoke from Farro Fresh

carlosjackal, Oct 25, 3:10am
From Wikipedia:
Liquid smoke consists of smoke produced through the controlled burning of wood chips or sawdust, condensed into solids or liquids and then dissolved in water. This method is called destructive distillation. This solution can be modified to develop a wide range of smoke flavors.

uli, Oct 25, 3:20am
Of course instead of artificial sauces with colourings, flavourings, preservatives etc - you could simply use a real BBQ (as opposed to the gas barbie), which starts with wood - mainly tea tree (manuka and kanuka) - and when that has burned down to embers you grill the meat on a grill above those embers.

You sit around the fire and drink beer and tell stories while watching the fire burn and you end up with wonderful BBQ'd meat with a wood smoke taste and lots of tall stories to tell next time you have a BBQ :)

carlosjackal, Oct 25, 4:34am
The process of making liquid smoke was intoduced in 1895 by Ernest H. Wright a Kansas City Pharmacist and Wright's Liquid Smoke is the only liquid smoke on the market with no added preservatives, sugars or sodium all of which act to mask the true flavour of liquid smoke.

carlosjackal, Oct 25, 4:34am
The process of making liquid smoke was intoduced in 1895 by Ernest H. Wright a Kansas City Pharmacist and Wright's Liquid Smoke is the only liquid smoke on the market with no added preservatives, sugars or sodium all of which act to mask the true flavour of liquid smoke.

Wright always had an interest in chemistry, so when he eventually bought his own drug store, he began to explore the combustion of wood. Wright discovered that he could collect a liquid with the flavor of smoke, through condensation. As wood was burned, the smoke produced would enter the stove pipe, and as it was introduced to cold air, the smoke would condense and that is how Liquid Smoke originally came about.

uli, Oct 25, 7:35am
You realize that the same stuff was used on fence posts to prevent them from rotting in the ground! Lovely stuff!

patxyz, Oct 25, 7:39am
and that same stuff is what flavours you bbq'd meat

shyly, Oct 25, 7:42am
whats your point!

cookessentials, Oct 25, 7:43am
Oh well, there goes another thread.

carlosjackal, Oct 25, 8:45am
So contrary.

beebs, Oct 25, 6:46pm
my most humble apologies for asking advice in the recipe threads.-
.fyo our gas bbq cannot replicate the flavours that i referred to, and i was merely asking advice from some kind people on here about what the flavour may be.not all of us have the opportunity/resources to replicate your advice but thanks anyway.

antoniab, Oct 25, 7:34pm
Dont worry about it :) ^^^ Ours is from Farro but made by www.nzmanukaeggs.co.nz - we bought it specifically for a recipe (Al Brown marinade I think it was), its not cheap but will last for ages, its in a spray bottle.

kay141, Oct 26, 12:05am
Don't worry about it. The nice people on here outnumber the nasties. There will always be someone who knows the answer or is willing to point you in the right direction.

daisyhill, Oct 26, 12:36am
My husband insists on a charcoal barbecue but I find it impossible to cook properly on - such a long build-up time and such a short window of opportunity for cooking. I'd much rather cook in the kitchen with my usual appliances but replicate the smoke flavour by some other means, so the advice on this thread has been very useful to me too.