Scone mixture

rebelprincesz, Oct 10, 4:42am
wot other uses are there for it! apart from scones I mean lol.I have a bag to use and it would make alot of scones.can u use it for corn fritters!

lilyfield, Oct 10, 4:45am
It will keep a long long time. Or you can make pizza bases, and yes you can add some to a tin of creamed corn for fritters.

rebelprincesz, Oct 10, 5:04am
thanks.it has a expiry date so thought I had better use it

245sam, Oct 10, 5:12am
rebelprincesz, how about the following pie which, as Alison Holst notes can be made with either pastry or scone dough!

Alison Holst’s SOUR CREAM ONION PIE
From Alison “This pie makes an excellent lunch dish, alone or with salad. I make it with a short pastry crust when we are having guests - at other times I make a crust of scone dough (using 2 cups of flour) and roll it much thicker than the short pastry. With the scone crust I don't serve bread and butter - it makes a much more substantial family style pie."

For 4-6 servings:
1 x 9” (23 cm) uncooked piecrust
2 large onions, sliced
3-4 tbsp butter
2 eggs
1 cup (1 x 250g carton) sour cream
½-1 tsp salt – I use ½ tsp celery salt when I have it
caraway seeds (optional)

Chop the onions thickly. (If the onions are not large, use 3 or 4).
Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the onions, cover and cook over a medium heat until they are transparent and a light golden colour - do not let them brown (I use the microwave for this).
Meanwhile, beat the eggs, sour cream and salt, adding the caraway seeds or other herbs to taste, if desired. Tip the cooked onions into this mixture and mix thoroughly, then pour into the uncooked pie crust.
Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 10-15 minutes, until the crust starts to brown, then lower the heat and bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for 20 minutes, or until the filling has set in the middle.
Serve hot, warm, or reheated. :-))

lodgelocum, Oct 10, 5:14am
I always use scone dough for a pizza base, add spaghetti, cheese, tomato, bacon or salami, the grandchildren just love it.

rebelprincesz, Oct 10, 5:31am
yum thanks for the suggestions can make heaps of food for the week lol

tinkagirl, Oct 10, 6:24am
You can also make a quick bread.I roll mine flat and cover it with cooked red onion, grated cheese, cooked red pepper and bacon or ham and what ever herbs I want, roll it tightly and cut it down the middle (leaving about 1 inch at the top to hold it together).Plate it and do an egg wash and sprinkle more cheese.Every one loves it.

carlosjackal, Oct 10, 7:55am
You could make Cinnamon Pinwheels or savoury pinwheels with your scone mixture.