Yogurt Cheese, is it good?

julzienz, Apr 19, 11:58am
I'm wondering if anyone has ever made yogurt cheese where you put the yogurt in the cheesecloth over night. Just wondering what it tastes like? Anything like cream cheese? I found a recipe for New York Cheesecake using yogurt cheese and am wondering where it'll be any good.

buzzy110, Apr 19, 9:48pm
It will be brilliant. Remember to buy a real live yoghurt - NOT a thickened (with gelatine), sweetened dairy food 'yoghurt'. There are still a few (selection is getting tinier by the day though).

Quite a lot of whey will be produced in the draining process. Don't throw it away. Whey delivers essential amino acids that your body needs but can only be found in high-protein ingredients. It is also full of very useful, living bacillus which are really good for improving the microbial balance of your digestive tract.

It can be added to fruit juice or smoothies or can just be drunk by itself.

Oh, and on top of all that, the resulting 'cheese' is delicious. Depending on how long you drain it for, it should have to consistency of Greek yoghurt. Which, of course is exactly what Greek yoghurt used to be before they started to thicken yoghurt with various thickeners and stabilisers, then sweetening it and calling it Greek Yoghurt.

bidz, Apr 19, 11:37pm
Mmmmm, you could use Clearwater yoghurt for this; it is the best yoghurt around in my opinion. Still has the thick layer of very thick and creamy stuff on the top too; not reduced fat rubbish.

julzienz, Apr 20, 12:44am
Mm sounds good. I have some easiyo yoghurt that I made a while ago, will that do?

buzzy110, Apr 20, 12:58am
I agree. Clearwaters cream top yoghurt is rather yum and lends itself rather well to 'draining'.

maxwell.inc, Apr 20, 1:08am
Its very nice. . I use to use it to make "dip" with :o)

amazing_grace, Apr 20, 1:31am
Oooh, yeah! just like cream cheese but yummier. Labneh, : take one pottle of Greek Yoghurt, stir in 1t salt and 2 cloves of garlic crushed. Put in a muslin over a container. Sit in fridge to drain for 1 day. (I keep the stuff that comes out for making savoury muffins). Roll into little balls, then roll in freshly chopped herbs and put into a jar, cover in oil. Eat! Pix from my blog here: http://gardeningincromwell. blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive. h
tml

lenart, Apr 20, 4:55am
We mix the resulting cheese with home made vanilla sugar and dried currants and leave overnight to develop in the fridge. Everyone loves the resulting spread. Or blend some prunes, walnuts or almonds with cheese in a blender (don't need to drain too much for this) and leave overnight in the fridge. Can eat like that as a dessert. We normally drain either Caspian Sea yoghurt or home made creme fraiche. Very yummy.

birdie211, Apr 20, 9:18am
that sounds so so yummy, just went to your website awesome, just wondering what type of oil do you use to cover the cheese, tia

julzienz, Apr 21, 6:59am
Anyone tried making the cheesecake with it?

amazing_grace, Feb 20, 5:53am
I just use Canola oil, it doesnt seem to matter ... . the oil when the cheese is all finished is delicious added to french dressings etc too