Homemade bread

melly16, Oct 8, 11:05pm
what can you put in home made bread to make it not taste so plain!

mattdylan, Oct 8, 11:08pm
sundried tomatos and pesto are nice, try some nuts (or seeds) too

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 8, 11:10pm
Just about anything lol. Sweet breads have sugar, fruit, the sweet spices and honey, savoury breads can contain the herbs, or stock powders, vegetables or the stronger more pungent spices. Then there is the range of grains that you can use to make the bread initially. Experiment, and enjoy the results.

sossie1, Oct 8, 11:12pm
honey and oats are nice together.

melly16, Oct 8, 11:22pm
Thanks for sugestions :)

carlosjackal, Oct 9, 1:10am
Olives are nice.

mwood, Oct 9, 1:30am
Start by addingtablespoon of Wheat germ to your already successful bread recipe.

nzhel, Oct 9, 9:39am
I often put a few sunflower seeds in the mix which makes it nice.

elliehen, Oct 10, 1:32am
I tried this at the weekend and plan to make some myself - Annabel Langbein's Busy People's Bread.

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/14548/busy-peoples-bread

daisyhill, Oct 10, 2:34am
Mmmmm, bread. These are my favourite things to add in:

All kinds of seeds, but particularly sunflower and poppy for me (we also like sesame and pumpkin).
Garlic powder and any sort of herbs that are to hand.
Parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper.

It's hard to go wrong, really!

daisyhill, Oct 10, 3:55am
If anybody is stuck for ideas for bread in general, try this blog. There are some great ideas here!
http://www.abreadaday.com/

sarahb5, Oct 10, 4:53am
Some of things I add are:

Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Sesame seeds - as they are or toasted
Flax seeds - whole or ground, brown or yellow
Chia seeds - black or white
Poppy seeds
Kibbled wheat
Oat bran
LSA

uli, Oct 10, 5:45am
I would use sourdough for more taste or even a slow yeast dough over night. The slow fermentation is what makes a nice tasting bread rather than any additives. Flour, water, salt and yeast (or sourdough) is all you need for great tasting bread. Apart from that any herbs or spices can be added of course.

korbo, Oct 10, 9:03am
Bought a nice tomato/onion loaf of bread at supermkt,
Would anyone know what kind or type of tomato you would put in the mix!
would you use dried tomato, tomato paste, tomato puree, or a packet of tomato soup.!
thanks

sarahb5, Oct 10, 9:54pm
Without seeing the bread I would say probably sundried tomato and maybe dried onion flakes but if the bread is kind of orangey coloured they probably add tomato paste or some other form of concentrate - I think puree would be too runny and not a strong enough flavour.

uli, Oct 10, 9:55pm
Dried tomato in oil, drained and finely chopped is what the supermarket bread uses. You can buy it at the wholesalers in 20kg lots for "speciality" breads. You can also use finely chopped olives and a bit of fresh rosemary from the garden and turn it into a flat bread to go with soup or salads.

buzzy110, Oct 11, 1:27am
I use cumin, fennel, cardamon or dill seeds are my first choice but there are many other spice seeds that could be used. Fenugreek springs to mind. Dried herbs are nice. I find that pinenuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds only add texture and are rather overwhelmed by the sour taste of my sourdough bread.

sarahb5, Oct 11, 10:26pm
That's exactly why I don't add herbs or spices to my basic bread because I wouldn't want toast and jam on flavoured bread but I'm happy to have it on "textured" bread.I add cinnamon and/or mixed spice to my fruit bread just with every day bread I don't want the flavour of bread to take over the flavour of whatever I'm putting on it if that makes sense.No doubt over summer when we eat more bread with salads, BBQs, etc. I will start to experiment a bit more with flavourings as well as texture.

hesian, Nov 2, 2:27am
Went to this site and tried recipe which has an 20 min then 30 -40 min cooking time with sunflower seeds in and pumpkin on top.Measured very carefully but not a success.She said line and grease the bread pan but paper stuck firm and not high enough. Probably me but I am making a lot of bread nowadays for husband (I am gluten free) so wanted to try this as tend to use the bread maker a lot.

nauru, Nov 2, 5:59am
Put some sun dried tomatoes in, they are wonderful in bread.I often put them in my foccacia breads.

nauru, Nov 2, 5:59am
I agree with sarah, put some sun dried tomatoes in along with dried onion flakes, they are wonderful in bread.I often put sun dried toms in my foccacia breads.