Rainbow Cake

la_laa1, Oct 12, 1:13am
Hi, I have been asked to make on of these for a birthday, I don't mind the patience required to make it, but my problem is I personally find cakes with a lot of food colouring don't taste very nice ( even useing gel) I was wondering if there was a recipe with a flavouring that would at least mask the taste of the food colouring a bit. Any help greatly appreciated.

sarahb5, Oct 12, 1:27am
You could add the flavoured essences - sometimes when I make marble cake I add strawberry flavouring to the pink part, or banana to the plain part.I wouldn't use more than 1 or 2 different flavours though - mint for the green and maybe strawberry for the pink, ie. flavour combinations that work well together.

alphadave, Oct 12, 1:34am
im making one at the moment, I'm going to try to do a really rich vanilla frosting, maybe a merengue based one.
Never made one before so interested to try it, attempted to use natural colorings once to make bright green pancakes, tasted like spinach!

kiwibubbles, Oct 12, 1:35am
i used Edmonds Angel buttercake in a box (only cos it was cheaper this way rather than buying heaps of eggs and butter to make several cakes) and i couldn't taste the colouring

geldof, Oct 12, 2:50am
You could add some freeze dried fruit powders.