I've been trying to remember a recipe my Mum used

elsielaurie1, Oct 13, 2:34am
to make when we were kids.From memory, she would make a custard and added a jelly to it! or used the jelly as part of the mix with the custard!. I remember especially the raspberry flavoured one she used to make! Any ideas what this may be called! It was served cold as a summer dessert.

brish, Oct 13, 2:39am
I immediately thought of Spanish Cream from the Edmond's book and there are two versions of that in there, one with Gelatine, and the other with jelly crystals.Then below that is Special jelly, which has milk and water, and egg whites.

245sam, Oct 13, 2:39am
elsielaurie1, was the recipe from the Edmond's book!Melrose Cream or something like that I believe.:-))

Edited to add.
Edmond's "MELROSE CREAM
Equal quantities of custard made with custard powder and liquid jelly made with jelly crystals.Mix together when cool and set in a wet mould.
An attractive dish can be made by surrounding the mould with different coloured jellies from small moulds - egg cups will do.":-))

brish, Oct 13, 2:41am
Melrose cream is in the Edmonds book, that's with custard powder and jelly crystals.

elsielaurie1, Oct 13, 2:42am
Yay.I'm away to have a look through all my new and not so new Edmonds books.thank you all.

245sam, Oct 13, 2:43am
No need to hunt for/through your books elsielaurel1, the recipe is there at#3 for you.:-))

sarahb5, Oct 13, 2:48am
My mum used milk instead of water with her jelly to make "milk jelly" just for a bit of variety - not sure why though as I love jelly and so does she!She always used to make blancmange for parties too, in the rabbit mould, but the ears never came out!I have no idea what the difference is and I never liked it anyway because of the skin .

elsielaurie1, Oct 13, 2:52am
Aha -thank you,but by hunting through my books I've found my Mum's recipe, in her writing, in her old recipe book'1 cup of milk made into a custard. Not a thick custard. When boiling add a jelly and 1 c of hot water. Stir until dissolved. Can be beaten with egg beater'.memories.than-
ks so much. All I needed was to know what to look for.

245sam, Oct 13, 2:59am
I too, remember my Mum making that dessert for us from her trusty old Edmond's book - those old books sure did have some good easy recipes for the Mums of yesteryear.:-))