Cream cultured with yoghurt

davidt4, Oct 11, 4:32am
Does this work!How much live yoghurt should I add to a litre of ordinary pasteurised cream!Does it behave the same asyoghurt made from whole milk!

vmax2, Oct 11, 5:27am
Cream yoghurt!Yes I make it all the time, delicious.I just heat the cream up to 85 C (same as with milk) reduce it to 43 C then add 1/2 tsp starter (previous yoghurt you've made, or clearwaters)Then incubate for 12-24 hours.Thick and yummy

davidt4, Oct 11, 5:46am
Thanks!I'll try it tomorrow.I usually buy Clearwater's, but just feel like something creamier.

vmax2, Oct 11, 6:13am
Yes, it's good to get a cream fix.Kefir made entirely of cream is also yummy.

angel404, Oct 11, 7:19am
I still cant make yoghurt! I tried heating it to 85 but i forgot about and it got up to 140deg BUT in my recipe it says heat to just before boiling - at 140 it still wasnt boiling so thought it would be ok.but nah its still runny.

add1, Oct 11, 7:26am
Maybe you are using too much yoghurt!We have found that the more yoghurt we put into the milk, the runnier the mix.Try using less yoghurt and see if that thickens it up.

angel404, Oct 11, 7:31am
Ive been using the culture from mad millie. but am going to give the yoghurt a go. only yoghurt i have atm is my runny yoghurt.

vmax2, Oct 11, 8:14am
I put 7L of milk on to heat 2 nights ago and forgot about it.My son said, there's a pot boiling.I raced into the kitchen and it sure was.I didn't check the temp but I'm guessing it was about 90 C or more.I carried on making it and it worked out fine.If you're using live yoghurt angel 1/2 tsp is fine - clearwaters or cyclops is good.

angel404, Oct 12, 7:07am
Well my milk go tup to 140deg and it still hadnt got to the boil yet! lol. Will buy some good quality yoghurt tomorrow and use that as my starter.
Can i incubate it in my easiyo maker!

buzzy110, Oct 12, 7:11pm
Just a thought. Is your thermometer reading farenheit or celsius!

I usually heat mine by the water bath method so that I have less chance of it getting too hot. To heat, to just below boiling all that needs to happen with the milk is that is gets a lot of 'small bubbles' on the surface. That is the correct temperature - approx 85-95dC.

To hold that at that range all I do is take the whole lot, water bath pot and the milk pot, off the heat when it reaches just below 90dC and then watch it for just 3 short minutes. The temp might rise by a few degrees but it still remains below the 95dC.

Then I transfer the milk into the glass bowl that comes with my fromagerie and place in ice cold water to reduce heat as rapidly as possible.

Are you reducing the milk temperature to 45dC! Any heat above that temp will kill the culture. By the time I've finished mucking around the temperature has dropped to below that but my yoghurt still comes out firm. When you say 'runny' do you mean that the whey has separated out and the casein portion is still not very 'solid'! Also can you tell us how it tastes. Is it sour and yoghurty or does it still taste like sweet, uncultured milk! How long are you culturing for!

buzzy110, Oct 12, 7:14pm
When I make yoghurt I heat my milk, etc. Once it has been properly treated I add in my cream. Cream does not seem to require the heating that the protein in milk does because it is mainly fat. The cream separates out from the milk, leaving the rich cream yoghurt on the top of my yoghurt and milk yoghurt on the bottom.

I really love the cream yoghurt.

beaker59, Oct 13, 3:13am
Something really wrong with your thermometer, its impossible to get milk to 140 degrees Celcius at aptmospheric pressure do you have a thermometer set in Farenhiet scale perhaps!

buzzy110, Oct 13, 4:08am
One more thought. If you are using your Mad Millie thermometer you may not be submerging it properly. It has to be submerged right up to the little indentations that are on the thermometer about 1/3rd of the way up. That is easier to do with cheese making because there is usually a lot more milk involved. If it those indentations are not in the milk then you will not be getting an accurate reading.

I personally think that is one of the flaws with their thermometers.

davidt4, Oct 13, 5:50am
I've been through two Mad Millie thermometers, and they were both inaccurate to the extreme.I now use a digitl thermometer, which is much more reliable.