Quarter Acre pot

tinkagirl, Oct 13, 4:55am
I love my new QAP, has anyone got any tips for using it!

camper18, Oct 13, 7:11am
x1
We love rice pudding so I always put some in the top pot with some milk and hey presto when we arrive at our destination (in our m/Home)we have a meal and a dessert.

nfh1, Oct 13, 7:14am
OK I have to ask what is a Quarter Acre Pot!

lindylambchops1, Oct 13, 7:27am
x1
http://thermalcooker.co.nz/

I had to Google it!

nfh1, Oct 13, 7:46am
Hahaha - I thought it was connected to having a quarter acre section with lots of veges!

lindylambchops1, Oct 13, 7:47am
LOLI just thought wow that is a big pot quarter of an acre!LOL

nfh1, Oct 13, 8:17am
Hahahahaha

tinkagirl, Oct 13, 9:45pm
it is great, cooked chicken in it last night and it only took 10 mins and by the time we ate it it was perfect, not over cooked at all.Makes the best steam pudding ever, as not dry from been boiled for 2 hours.just love it.

elsielaurie1, Oct 14, 2:00am
I thought the 'L' had been left out of the word 'pot'.quarter acre pLot!

uli, Oct 14, 4:32am
It used to be a strawbox in the old days LOL - or put the pot of rice after boiling it for 5 minutes under the feather duvet to finish cooking :)

They work really well if the pot is almost full and has been boiling for some time so all is actually really hot.

buzzy110, Oct 14, 4:35am
I've been tempted to buy one of those but I've got enough pots as it is. Are they really as good as they say! i.e. will they actually cook the food while in transit without any further heat source!

uli, Oct 14, 4:40am
Yes they do - at least my haybox did LOL. However I only ever used the box for grains and beans etc - so have no need for it any more. The odd time I cook rice for the wwoofers I do so on the stovetop.

I am not so sure that the recipe for 2kg corned beef they give on their website works. Maybe tinkagirl can try it out for us! It sounds a very short time for a lump of beef to cook in the residual heat of the broth - compared to how long it takes in a crockpot which keeps simmering.

punkinthefirst, Oct 14, 4:48am
Once upon a time, 50 something years ago and more, my Mum used to use a haybox to cook for the harvesters (of hay and silage), as did her Mum before her. I think the rule is that you cook the food on a conventional stove for a third - half of the time it would normally take, then pack it into the haybox and leave it until it's cooked. Depends whether you want to serve the food hot or warm.

tinkagirl, Oct 14, 6:44pm
Yes they are actually better than I thought.The food does not seem to over cook.The only downer for it is that you have to think ahead and actually do some cooking, not like a slow cooker where you just chuck it all in and walk away.However I think the food tastes better in QAP as it does not stew so to speakGood if you are in CHC and only have a BBQ to cook on as will save heaps in Gas.

buzzy110, Oct 14, 11:16pm
Thanks tinkagirl.