Flavoring bread

zeekay, Oct 11, 10:28pm
I make a simple bread using flour, baking powder and a little salt. How can I infuse flavor into it. eg mix in an oxo cube or how would I use honey etc, etc.

sarahb5, Oct 11, 10:47pm
See the thread below this one - Homemade bread - has lots of ideas

red2, Oct 11, 10:58pm
tumeric can be nice . Mixed herbs are good too

uli, Oct 12, 2:28am
Bread is made by using flour, salt, water and either yeast or sourdough. What you are making is a scone dough or maybe the famous Irish soda bread. The flavour does not come from oxo cubes but from a long cool slow rising. So read up on how to make bread and how to make sourdough and you will have lovely tasty bread.

sarahb5, Oct 12, 2:39am
OP's "bread" would also fall into the damper category

kiwitrish, Oct 12, 2:40am
Packet soups work really well.

davidt4, Oct 12, 2:57am
That's right.Maybe there is only an open fire to cook on.

If I was forced to eat damper I'd smother it in butter to help get it down.

sarahb5, Oct 12, 5:37am
You must've had bad experiences of damper then - before I had a breadmaker I used to make a yummy damper to have with soup in the winter.It's quick, easy and tasty when you get a good one but you have to eat it pretty much straight from the oven because it does go stale very quickly.

eljayv, Oct 12, 9:01pm
I use oregano, basil and paprika, 1 tsp of each, just as you would for foccacia

uli, Oct 14, 3:28am
I was served damper today for lunch (together with an egg frittata, huge green salad, fried eggplant, avocado etc.) and I must admit is was very nice (made in a lidded frypan)! I never thought this could be a concoction of baking powder, wholemeal flour, nuts, rosemary and olives. Tasted just like bread. No baking powder taste at all. Needed to be eaten warm and fresh though. But it seems to be possible with the right recipe.

davidt4, Oct 14, 4:17am
Sounds interesting.I wonder if it was made with buttermilk, same as Irish Soda Bread.

uli, Oct 15, 3:58am
Don't think so - the only "milk" I encountered in the fridge was soy .

davidt4, Oct 15, 4:08am
Eeek!

uli, Oct 15, 4:15am
Yep!

For some reason dairy is considered not healthy, so they use very small quantities of soy instead.

Too complicated to discuss here.