Gluten Free flours/ bread mix/ pasta on prescripti

Page 1 / 2
kirstenp, Oct 12, 12:27am
on prescription in Auckland. Has any one or does anyone do this! Just wondered where you have found the cheapest pharmacy to be please. Now have DH and 2 DDs who need to be gluten free due to Coeliac disease. Have a prescription from the speciaist but it all looks so dear. Went and saw the pharmasist(sp) at North Shore Hospital yesterday - she was lovely and gave me all the prices etc. - from the looks of things, it looks like it will only be worthwhile getting 3 months worth of pasta on prescription at a time.flours etc, are cheaper from Gilmours.does anyone have any feedback or information that could help! Looks like this is going to make our food bills expensive - especially as DH eats like a horse being 6'6" and not a small eater. Thanks

davidt4, Oct 12, 12:38am
It will be simpler and much cheaper if you re-think your whole eating plan.There is no need to eat flour-based things like pasta, bread, cakes, biscuits etc., instead plan your meals around real food such as meat, fish, eggs, cheese, vegetables, fruit and healthy minimally processed fats (e.g. butter, olive oil, coconut oil).

kirstenp, Oct 12, 12:46am
We are heading that way, DH likes toast and bread though, have bought a bread maker so making our own bread (I refuse to pay $7 for a loaf of bread). Just going to take time for them all to adjust.especially the 9 year old. Unfortunately she was only diagnosed because of her sister - she doesn't have any of the side affects from eating gluten. DH has been taking rice and potato salads to work this week so we are getting there, just a matter of time I guess!

bedazzledjewels, Oct 12, 1:27am
Keep heading that way Kirstenp. 100% agree with DT4

uli, Oct 12, 2:19am
Yep - read up on paleo/primal foods and you will be soon on the right track. Lots out there if you google it.

ahaaaaa, Oct 12, 3:26am
My daughter developed a gluten intolerance and spent a year gluten free till her gut healed or something and she lost the intolerance. It was really hard at the time being out in the country. I made lots of mistakes too at the start. Binn in were a great help ( no prescription for intolerance). I made my own GF flour by mixing a variety of GF flours together and keeping in large plastic kitchen storage boxes. Rice flour is the cheapest but ading other flours helps baking be more successful. Choose from tapioca, cornflour, potato. millet etc etc. I got used to whipping up crepes in the morning to fill with things like smoked salmon lettuce and cream cheese for lunch or cooking gf sausages for her to take.

very_hotpants, Oct 12, 4:03am
I found it easier to apply for the disabilty benifit for DD who has CD as it is fiddly and can be more expensive to go on the prescription scheme. but I think the scheme changed have a look on the Celiac New Zeland Website they have a page on there about it.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 12, 4:53am
The upcoming Sunday programme on TV1 has a segment about gluten, including input from Dr William Davis who wrote "Wheat Belly". Might be worth a watch.

pommyjohn1, Oct 12, 5:59pm
I get flour on prescription the Bakels brand and I find it much better than the commercially shop bought flour .It works out marginally cheaper than buying from the shop.I did try the pasta but found supermarket cheaper and better.
You cannot go to any pharmacy because it has to be ordered in from the hospital.In East Auckland I have to go to the A&E

bedazzledjewels, Oct 12, 7:38pm
Flour on prescription! Words fail me!

pommyjohn1, Oct 13, 3:22am

toadfish, Oct 13, 5:08am
This is Gluten Free flour for coeliacs.

toadfish, Oct 13, 5:10am
lolhad to look

uli, Oct 13, 5:32am
I think we gathered that. However why use flour when there are thousands of lovely foods out there which are much healthier than grains.

vmax2, Oct 13, 5:57am
I was gluten free for quite a few years.I then went starch free and problems have resolved a lot better with doing that.Gluten free flour often has lots of nasties added to it such as soy flour and preservatives etc.Better off not having flour at all or you might be back at your doctor asking for a prescription for a much bigger problem.

toadfish, Oct 13, 6:54am
The reason its on prescription though is that not everyone wants to follow a low carb diet.I have family members that are coeliacs and as the gluten free alternative is so expensive they get it on prescription.When Bedazz said "words fail me" I thought maybe she didn't realise.

vintagekitty, Oct 13, 6:59am
lol, nothings changed in the recipes forum

toadfish, Oct 13, 7:03am
I know and unthinkingly I broke my golden rule of not responding.
Will do better next time I promise.
I had the most divine lunch of fresh ciabatta roll with rottiserie chicken and coleslaw.I am afraid I can't live in a world without carbs.
And as Forest Gump would say "Thats all I am going to say about that" lol

vintagekitty, Oct 13, 7:06am
haha,must try better toadie:)

Yes, we had a nice dinner of mexican chicken wraps, avocado and bacon salad and new seasons asparagus. I cooked loads of asparagus to make sandwiches tomorrow

village.green, Oct 13, 8:37am
Sophie Gray has a gluten free baking mix:
3 cups corn flour
3 cups tapioca starch flour
3 cups sorghum (milo) flour
Mix together and store in airtight container.

Most gluten free baking recipes require Xanthan or guar gum in the absence of gluten as a substitute binder.

davidt4, Oct 13, 10:16am
I think you are confusing a gluten-free diet with a low-carb one.If someone wants to be gluten-free they can still eat many high carb foodsif they feel the need, e.g. potatoes, kumara, rice, tropical fruit, sweetcorn etc.

toadfish, Oct 13, 5:23pm
No not confused. but sometimes a 7 year old ceoliac wants a birthday cake or something that resembles bread.

frances1266, Oct 13, 6:11pm
Go to the library, heaps of gluten free recipe books there.Many have recipes for flour mixes and some of the mixes are quite reasonable in price.

vmax2, Oct 13, 8:56pm
I make birthday cakes and the occasional muffin using ground up nuts.Very well accepted by the kids.

toadfish, Oct 13, 9:03pm
My sister in law is very creative as well. andher baking is always delicious. her children are very lucky to have such a clever mum.