Help bacon hock made kumara soup

m41, Oct 18, 4:53am
too salty can it be saved !

245sam, Oct 18, 4:55am
m41, admittedly I have never had the 'over-salty' problem but I understand that adding a whole raw potato (or potatoes) to the soup and allowing the potato(es) to cook, then removing the whole potato(es) will/should help -potato absorbs the excess salt.

Hope that helps.:-))

m41, Oct 18, 4:58am
well i think adding the veg stock didn`t help with the hock too :)

245sam, Oct 18, 5:02am
m41, did you use store-bought or home-made stock, or was it stock powder!Uness it was unsalted stock then that IMO is exactly what has made your soup "too salty".:-))

m41, Oct 18, 5:11am
powder trying the potato now hope it works or we`re eating toast and butter :(

mwood, Oct 18, 5:31am
squeeze a lemon into the soup

karenz, Oct 18, 6:46am
I wish someone would sell a stock powder that wasn't horrendously salty.

meathead_timaru, Oct 19, 12:01am
Salt is a cheap filler.

karenz, Oct 19, 12:13am
Yes I know but too much of it ruins the taste of everything it is added to, I would rather spend extra to have an edible product.

davidt4, Oct 19, 12:21am
It is easy to make your own stock, then you can control the amount of salt.

karenz, Oct 19, 12:24am
That is true but I don't always have the time or ingredients to do it, plus limited space in my freezer, sometimes I just feel like making soup and would love to have a good instant stock powder I could add a little of that didn't ruin the taste or leave a horrible metallic dry taste in my mouth afterwards.

lotsagiggles, Oct 20, 11:51am
if too salty an old try is either add a potato (remove it when finished cooking or add brown sugar

lythande1, Oct 20, 11:41pm
Seems like some old wive's cook's tales just won't die. Like the one about adding a potato to overly salted soup to remove salt and make it palatable.

I mean on the surface, it seems like it should work: the potato sucks up a little water and dissolved salt.why wouldn't it selectively suck all the dissolved salt out of the liquid. (Oh wait, see that's absurd on the face of it.)

kiwibubbles, Oct 21, 2:30am
dilute the soup! pour half into another pot and add more water!

guest, Mar 22, 1:44am
In these days of austerity as well as railteve stress and anxiety about incurring debt, many people balk resistant to the idea of making use of a credit card to make purchase of merchandise or maybe pay for a vacation, preferring, instead just to rely on the particular tried along with trusted procedure for making payment hard cash. However, if you've got the cash available to make the purchase entirely, then, paradoxically, that is the best time for them to use the credit card for several good reasons.

guest, Mar 24, 7:04am
These days of austerity plus retivale anxiousness about having debt, some people balk about the idea of utilizing a credit card to make purchase of merchandise or even pay for a trip, preferring, instead only to rely on a tried and also trusted approach to making transaction hard cash. However, if you've got the cash available to make the purchase 100 %, then, paradoxically, that is the best time to be able to use the credit cards for several causes.