Substituting butter for low cholesterol spread

dinkypinky, Sep 30, 9:26pm
Can it be done!Would like to reduce butter in baking etc. not sure of final results though (thinking of spreads like logical etc)

disco_super_fly, Sep 30, 9:39pm
I recommend using coconut oil instead. Those 'spreads' are fake plastic nastiness.

davidt4, Sep 30, 9:51pm
Why do you want to cut down on butter!Those fake spreads are horrible.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 30, 10:24pm
Just Eat Real Food - JERF!

zappi, Sep 30, 10:30pm
using margarine in baking mostly makes no difference.Only occasionally has my baking not worked out properly.Tastes the same and looks the same.

alphadave, Sep 30, 10:51pm
I have successfully used apple sauce in place of oil or butter in most baking recipes, havent tried it in any 'creaming' recipes tend to avoid them.

carlosjackal, Sep 30, 11:45pm
Butter is better for you than any butter substitute! The chemicals that are contained in butter substitutes is amazing. Even before I knew this, I would never substitute butter for anything else in baking.and now I never substitute it.no matter what.but I do use butter more conservatively than I used to.

disco_super_fly, Oct 1, 12:54am
Oooh I will have to try that!

alphadave, Oct 1, 12:58am
Oooh I will have to try that![/quote]

I make my own sauce and drain all the water before I blend (skin on) then use the same measurements as per the recipes. depending on the sweetness of the apple sometimes you can cut back some sugar.

harrislucinda, Oct 1, 3:01am
thespreadsiusefor bakingareanchor lightashasdairyinitthereisanotherbrandaswell

kinna54, Oct 1, 4:33am
I have done it before. I have used margarine and Olivio spread.depends upon what you are baking.cakes come out a bit less dense, okay in biccies and slices.not suitable in shortbread or pastry tho.
However I am a believer in all things in moderation.some of the other ingredients could be just as bad as butter for cholesterol.

lilyfield, Oct 1, 6:23am
I don,t worry about cholesterol, it's the price difference that matters to me.

kay141, Oct 1, 6:33am
Butter seems to be on "special" a lot lately. About $3 for 500g.

harrislucinda, Oct 1, 9:16am
makemyownbutterforbaking

lilyfield, Oct 1, 9:29am
And marg is half of that