Savoury Scones.some are better than others

bev00, Jan 8, 10:42am
ingreds, 3 cups self raising flour
grate tasty cheese, enough to fill a triangle grater to approx 3Quarters (sorry never measured maybe 2 cups)
add to flour. go to cold water tap and start cutting the water in to mixture with a knife till fairly wet, tip on board and knead lightly using sprinkle of flour if you need it, cut and place on oven tray 225 10min Amazing

Edited by solid_citizen at 10:11 pm, Sun 8 Jan

Quotesolid_citizen (209 )10:07 pm, Sun 8 Jan #1
"Bacon and cheese muffins
1 cup flour,1/2 tsp salt,1 tsp baking powder,1 1/2 cups bran,1/4 cup sugar,1/2 tsp baking soda,1 1/2 cups milk,1 egg,1 tblsp butter,melted,1 tblsp golden syrup,3 rashers cooked bacon,1 cup grated tasty cheese.Sift flour,salt and baking powder.Stir in bran and sugar and make a well in the centre.Dissolve baking soda in warm milk.Beat egg lightly.Combine milk,melted butter,egg and golden syrup.Add chopped bacon and cheese to dry ingredients,then pour in milk mixture.Stir until just combined.Bake at 200C for 10-15 mins. posted by mn8385"

"BASIC MUFFIN RECIPE
*400g flour *1t baking powder * 1 c sugar *2 eggs *3/4c milk *1/4c oil. Sift flour n b.powder. Add sugar and ur choice of flavourings (fresh, frozen or tinned fruit, spices, chocolate OR spinach, sunni toms, mushis, bacon/ham, cheese, tomatoes,the possibilities are limited only by ur imagination) ***I use this recipe at my work (cafe/bakery) and add different ingredients each day.BLueberry n white choc r my fav Smile If u use it for savoury muffins only use 1/4c sugar and add salt n pepper
posted by mickey"

"Have it your way Savoury Muffins
Pre-heat oven to 200deg.C. Lightly grease muffins tins( 6 large, 12 mini), Mix together 2 eggs, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup thick yoghurt, Plus any one or more of the following 100g crumbled feta, 1/2 cup grated/or cubed cheese, ½ cup cottage cheese, plus one chopped tomato, one chopped onion, ½ - ¾ cup unfrozen, cooked chopped spinach. ( squeeze water out), ½ cup chopped bacon/ham, stir lightly (don’t over stir) until combined. 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 ½ teaspoon of baking power, ½ teaspoon salt, Spoon mixture into tins. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. posted by pam.delilah" :-))

Edited by 245sam at 4:37 pm, Tue 6 Dec

245sam (28 ) 4:34 pm, Tue 6 Dec #2

carlosjackal, Oct 1, 7:05pm
Has anyone got a favourite Savoury Scone recipe they'd like to share! It's a long time since I ate a beautiful savoury scone. The savoury scones that I've made in the past have never really hit the mark and would LOVE a fail safe recipe if anyone has one. Preferrably not too over-powering.

lx4000, Oct 1, 8:36pm
IMPOSSIBLE SCONES

Melt 50g butter in a jug.

Whisk in 1 egg.

Add 2 cups of milk.

Add to 4 to 5+ cups offlour and mix with a knife. This should be a wet mix.

Oven at 230oC for about 10 - 15 mins. Hope you enjoy them!
Date or sultana scones. Soak dried fruit in milk for an hour or so before making.

You can add cheese,cayenne pepper, onion etc for savoury scones.

bridget107, Oct 29, 2:06am

bridget107, Oct 29, 2:06am

carlosjackal, Oct 29, 3:03am
Oooooh! Thanks Bridget! They look good and I wonder if it's the addition of sugar (and cayenne pepper) that makes them sooooooo good! Thanks for sharing ;D

denbru, Oct 29, 3:08am
My savoury scone mix has always been a success. As their is only two in our household I only do a small batch you can double the mixture.
2 Cups Flour, 4 tsp b/powder, pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp mustard or cayenne pepper, 1 cup grated cheese, mix with warm water not milk, until just combined to a wet mixture. You can add chopped onion, parsley, bacon or ham, corn, tomato. Flour tray no cutting on bench required put out spoon lots on tray and bake at 200c fan bake. Enjoy!

carlosjackal, Oct 29, 3:13am
Thanks for posting your recipe for Savoury Scones - just wondering, what would be the rationale of adding warm water to the dry ingredients instead of milk! Any idea! Just curious.

denbru, Oct 29, 3:23am
I found when making these that milk made the mixture too heavy and I also a cook told me as their is milk product in the cheesethe milk is not required. As for being warm it helps with the working of the baking powder. Hope this helps!

carlosjackal, Oct 29, 3:28am
Yeah.that makes a lot of sense. Hey, thanks for your recipe and information/tips.

denbru, Oct 29, 3:30am
Ur welcome!

pinky10, Oct 29, 6:04am
Saw a nice savoury scone recipe today with mashed kumara and smoked cheese in the mixture.it was from the dulcie may kitchen recipe book, didnt write it down but it looked so yummy.I'm sure it wouldnt be too hard to have a guess at the recipe.

carlosjackal, Oct 29, 7:03am
That sounds interesting.and nice!