Cooking with Gas

nzbrat, Sep 27, 8:10am
Hey.Im getting a new kitchen finally.I am also replacing my old dunger oven as well. I thought id invest in a gas hob only problem is im not sure what to do. Those of you who cook with gas, do you perfer it or not. Im asking for pro and cons. Thank you.

greerg, Sep 27, 8:15am
Love gas and would never go back. It'sso fast. Only drawback is a very slow simmer needs a simmer mat but they are not expensive .

daisyhill, Sep 27, 8:29am
It's great for the hob - so responsive to turn the heat up or down quickly. I am not fond of gas ovens because they are harder to control and lighting the flame inside freaks me out!

purplegoanna, Sep 27, 8:35am
ive had gas inthe past.its fab.you want a pot of boiling water instantly then get gas.its fab, takes way less time than elecric, you learn to cook with the heat, i personally liked my gas oven, i like theway it did roasts. the gas thing was a worry but in the beginning you make smalls rules for your self to keep safe and then NEVA break them.

skippie1, Sep 27, 8:36am
Have converted to gas earlier this year. Love cooking with it, but hate the cleaning, unless you get the ceramic hob where the gas stands pops up when you turn the gas on.

nzbrat, Sep 27, 8:42am
Im not getting a gas oven just the hob. Was thinking of buying a double oven. Cant decide between a gas top oven or an inbuilt oven with gas hob. I love baking. I just cant seem to make my mind up what to buy. I will be purchasing from a place in chch, because im in Dunedin I want to make the right choice. What to do! What to do! this dream kitchen is becoming a nightmare.

sooseque, Sep 27, 8:47am
I have had a gas hob for eight years now with 5 burners, love it and as mentioned already if you need a real gentle simmer or to stop things catching on the bottom the simmer mat is great.I have a double electric wall oven, can't imagine going back to a single oven again.

village.green, Sep 27, 8:50am
Ditto!

olwen, Sep 27, 8:58am
I just (today) replaced my stove on a tight budget.I had negotiated the stove to the right price, but getting a gasfitter to connect a hob to a 9kg bottle was $500 - $800.We gave up and got a good second hand ceramic top with fan bake oven at a bargain price.Not what we wanted, but didn't upset our finances.

jns, Sep 27, 8:59am
I've had gas for about 4 months, its so fast which is awesome when doing veges etc. Took a little while to get timings/temperature right when frying but now I've got it right I love it.

nzbrat, Sep 27, 9:01am
What does a simmer mat do and where do you buy them! Sorry I probably seem dumb asking but if you dont ask you dont know.right! lol

sooseque, Sep 27, 9:14am
Take a look at this

Listing #: 517877056

olwen, Sep 27, 9:18am
When I was little (many decades ago) we haad a mat made of asbestos we used on the gas stove to let thing simmer at a low rate.I've seen a newer equivalent for sale on trademe, and I guess they are elsewhere.

strebor1, Sep 27, 9:21am
I have a gas hob and electric fan/bake oven, wouldn't swap either. Gas is so much faster and hotter for cooking wok creations or steaks. Just would never have an electric hob again. Prefer Electric ovens though. I do a lot of cooking and entertaining.

carlosjackal, Sep 27, 10:54am
I much prefer a gas hob simply because the heat is instant and is so much easier to regulate the temperature than it is with electric. I wouldn't ever want to go back to an electric hob.

nzbrat, Sep 28, 4:23am
Ok im sold, a double electric oven and a 5 gas hob.thanks for your imput. oh and a simmer mat.awesome!

tjman, Sep 28, 4:42am
I've got used to my gas hob.Love cooking with gas, but dangerous with younger cooks in the house.Also I caught fire to my oven mits last week.They were near by and fell onto the flame from a pot.Good job I came back into kitchen just in time.You have to be very careful.

nzhel, Sep 28, 11:45am
Have you thought about induction! - most people love it and its as fast as gas - I think faster at times! Also very sensitive to slight temperature adjustments. The bonus is a nice flat surface to clean. I had a gas hob in Aust and hated it - I hated cleaning the fiddly hob and disliked the danger of the open flames as tjman above has described. Gas: never again for me!

samanya, Sep 29, 11:18pm
I've just changed from gas to induction. I liked the gas but it was an older version with no auto cut off & it became very erratic.
I'm still finding my way with the induction hob but it's way faster than gas & I love the ease of cleaning.

antoniab, Sep 30, 12:38am
I love gas - one of the things I miss about living in the UK. Will definitely have a gas hob when we build

goldenbaygran, Sep 30, 6:38am
I have my second induction top.Would never have anything else if I was able to choose in the future.It is very fast, when you want fast. and can be taken right down to a simmer instantly.Just GREAT.I have four boosters on my top, and can bring potatoes etc to the boil so fast, then turn down and then go away.Never any mess to clean up either.

figjamto, Oct 2, 10:52pm
I bought my present house with all Smeg appliances already installed.have had no problems with gas hob and electric oven. would agree with goldenbaygran, gas is so fast and turns down instantly.would not change

aasha, Oct 8, 1:03pm
Just spent five days house and animal sitting for a friend , OMG am I glad to be back home to my gas cooker - oven and top.I had forgotten just how unresponsive electric rings are and how long it takes an electric oven to get to temperature.No way I would change.