Natural food colouring?

daddyb, Oct 3, 4:44am
Hi there, I am wondering if anyone knows of any foods/juices/teas etc that I could use to replace normal food colouring. For example if I steeped a berry tea until it was really red, could I use it as a replacement for red or pink food colouring! I know it wouldn't have the same colour intensity but I'm ok with that. Am wondering about blue, yellow.all the other colours. Does anyone have any ideas! I would love to get away from those nasty, lurid food colourings that we add to icing. thanks :)

angel404, Oct 3, 5:29am
I use berry juice for pink colouring, parsley for green, tumeric for orange.

daddyb, Oct 3, 6:13am
Thanks angel404 :) Just wondering, does the parsley make the icing taste or smell funny!

southerngurl, Oct 3, 6:34am
squid ink does a funky black.

angel404, Oct 3, 6:55am
depends on how long the icing is left for.if you make it then eat it straight away.nah. but if left overnight then maybe.it might taint it lol. ususally for icing i try to stick to fruity flavours might try kiwifruit next time but thought it wouldnt green up very welllol

daddyb, Oct 3, 7:11am
Ohhh where do you get squid ink from! and wouldn't it taste a bit fishy!

southerngurl, Oct 3, 7:42am
no idea. i was watching choice tv and a lady used to colour icing on a cake so Id hope not fishy fishy

holly-rocks, Oct 3, 7:46am
beetroot juice !

familychch, Oct 3, 9:25am
In New World down the baking isle, i noticed last week that they have a new product/brand that sells powdered rasp, strawberry, blackcurrent, pineapple and lots of others. They looked really nice.

racheee, Oct 4, 4:36am
In Australia they have a really good brand of totally natural colourings that are non allergenic.Not that that is much help.I was going to order some at some stage online.

panicky, Oct 4, 4:39am
pink food colour is normally "natural"

angel404, Oct 4, 5:42am
Is that flavouring or coloring!

worzel6, Oct 4, 5:45am
I bought natural food colour from countdown baking aisle.

familychch, Oct 4, 7:56am
I'm not sure, but i guess it could be both.

village.green, Oct 4, 9:04am
A NZ company called 'Fresh As' make fruit powders such as Blackcurrant, Mango, Blackberry etc in 40g pouches.
www.fresh-as.com
Just freeze dried fruit that you can add to smoothies, cake icings etc.
Quite pricey though about $10 a pop but lovely intense flavour and colour.

familychch, Oct 4, 9:59pm
This is what i was meaning. Thanks for the link.

horizons_, Oct 4, 11:45pm
Take a look at this site if you want to make your own:-
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-ways-to-make-organic-diy-food-coloring.html!page=2

Red - beetroot juice
Orange - carrot juice
Yellow - saffron or turmeric (a little goes a long way)
Green - spinach (flavourless) or liquid chlorophyl
Blue!purple - red cabbage juice