Manual Training School Recipes

Page 1 / 2
timetogo, Oct 3, 4:46am
Who still makes recipes that they learned at Manual Training School!I went in the 70's and still make Ice Cream Pudding.

Ice Cream Pudding – Manual Training School
2oz butter
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 pint milk
1 egg
Vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
Mix melted butter and sugar together.Add egg and beat well.Stir in milk and vanilla essence over double boiler until thick. Serve cold or warm.

I would love to see other recipes as my old school cook book is long gone.

davidt4, Oct 3, 5:31am
What was Manual Training School!Was it an apprenticeship!

I remember Ice Cream Pudding - I think it was in the Edmonds Cook Book.My grandmother flavoured it with peach leaves.

camper18, Oct 3, 5:42am
Icecream pudding the best custard to put on trifle. Have used it for years.

245sam, Oct 3, 5:50am
davidt4, Manual Training, in my days at school in the late 1960s, was cooking for the girls and woodwork for the boys during our last two years at Primary School.I lived in a country area so for 1 whole day once a fortnight we had a day away from our otherwise everyday local school at the Manual Training Centre in the nearest town.

Yes I remember Icecream Pudding/Custard too - the Edmond's recipe was what my Mum used and I have used that same recipe too. :-))

timetogo, Oct 3, 7:02am
I'd never thought of putting it in trifle.Might try it this Xmas.

rosiemoodle, Oct 3, 7:22am
Ours was called Home Economics now its called Food Technology.

Just watching MKR and saw seafood Mornaywe used to make that at school in the 70`s

jessie981, Oct 3, 7:56am
Still make the Chocoalte Cake recipe.

timetogo, Oct 3, 8:05am
Recipes would be good.

mothergoose_nz, Oct 3, 8:57am
i put macaroni elbows in a narrow necked coffee and chicory bottle for transport to school for cooking. i could never get those details right and the teacher was pretty upset trying to get them out.

duckmoon, Oct 3, 9:00am
I still use the kiwi crisp recipe given to me by Mrs Jackson in 1981

shop-a-holic, Oct 3, 9:58am
We called it Manual as well.However, one was Sewing where we made our apron for cooking class and to sew our names on with bias binding.This granted you a sewing machine drivers licence as well!

After cooking, we went to woodwork, for a lattice basket, and then off to metal work for a wind chime made with steel blades, and a little man cranking them (albeit with environmental wind factors) over a wishing well.

I have my Manual cookbook here. Complete with decorations; on the back page and list of marks out of 5 each week for equipment brought to class (point lost not bringing an apron and points lost for not bringing a container to take your items home. No container, no taking the items out of class).

My Manual cookbook is covered with Wallpaper.
I'll supply a list of the names of recipes tomorrow, in case anyone is interested in the recipe itself.

daaquarius, Oct 3, 10:42am
Home Economics and Food Technology both exist - 2 slightly different things. Home Economics is nutrition and health, Food Technology is more like food science, processing and working with stakeholders.

I was bored silly at school during food. One thing I remember clearly having to cut up raw carrots and broccoli and arrange on a plate. I wish I still had the recipe for stuffed baked apples though.

carlosjackal, Oct 3, 11:19am
Heck this thread certainly brings back memories! I remember making Cinnamon Pinwheels, Upside Down Pudding and Hot Cross Buns at manual Training.1/2 the year was cooking and the other half was sewing.I made a skirt and remember being praised for how well I sewed a zip into the skirt.haha.never sewn since! LOL!

jessie981, Oct 3, 8:33pm
First thing we made was carrots & white sauce. Put into the jar while hot & the smell was revolting when mum took the lid off. No wonder I'm not a carrot fan.

camper18, Oct 3, 9:55pm
And that Ice cream pudding can be made in the M/W now easy peasy, cause we had never heard of m/w's back in my day at "manual tech" about 1955!

munrotti, Oct 3, 9:55pm
Iremember chocolate blancmange (not sure how to spell that) and making a small christmas cake in a golden syrup tin which had the rim removed

sarahb5, Oct 3, 10:41pm
Not Manual Training School recipes but we still use the recipes my daughter got given at intermediate school for chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake, etc. and they are the same recipes my friend was given 20 years earlier as well!

samsnan, Oct 3, 10:46pm
Yes I was at a small country school and once a fortnight we would go into Waiuku to what is now Waiuku Primary school. First thing we made was Lemon Syrup and then I think it was Wholemeal scones that turned out like dog biscuits.This was late 50s. Mrs Coutts was our teacher. Any other Waiuku people may remember her.

willman, Oct 4, 1:41am
i remember the Manual Training in Std 5/ 6 ( F1/2 ).We made our aprons, little hat and servette in Pr $ for sewing.At the end of F2 year,we all made a Christmas Cake.Thought we were pretty neat,Unfornutaly lost my Manual recipe books in Shifting Houses.

korbo, Oct 4, 4:28am
I stillhave mine, tho there doesn't seem to be many recipes.lol
I do remember one time we were all given a little snapper, that had been filleted and we made a tomato breadcrumb stuffing for it. can still see and taste it today.It was very nice.
we also did flower arrangements.
not many marks of 5 in my book, but I love cooking now.

spdip, Oct 4, 10:29am
This would have to be my most tried and true recipe from Form 2 Home Economics. Our kids love it and it is cheap to make.

Mince Chow Mein
2 tbsp oil
500g mince
2 medium onions – chopped
½ cabbage shredded
2 tbsp rice
3 cups water
1 dsp soy sauce
1 dsp curry powder
1 tbsp sultanas
2 pkts chicken noodle soup mix

1. Use a big pot.
2. Brown onion and mince in oil.
3. Add all other ingredients and bring to boil.
4. Simmer for 35 minutes.

schnauzer11, Oct 5, 2:57am
Oh gawd,Manual,circa 1969.Oakhill potatoes followed by Spanish Cream! Now that I'm a great cook,and a Foodie(thanks to my late Mum,certainly not Manual) I shudder at some of the crap we were required to make.The sewing half of the year was also truly awful.My Mum had already taught me to sew really well.She could make anything,and drafted her own patterns.I was forever taking work home,after being repeatedly re-done,to the teacher's disatisfaction,to have Mum show me how to do it her(better)way! I doubt that teacher ever sewed a stitch in her life.I imagine many girls were put off sewing and cooking forever,if they didn't have a creative mother at home!

davidt4, Oct 5, 3:27am
I dimly remember Oakhill Potatoes from intermediate school cooking lessons.Was it boiled potatoes and hardboiled eggs in a bechamel sauce!

martine5, Oct 5, 4:31am
gosh I remember it too, butterfly buns, a loaf of white fluffy bread, stuffed potatoes and sausages, we did a toated open sandwich too.I loved the cooking part and hated the sewing part, everytime I looked at the machine it jammed, and I always thought the stuff we had to make was naff it didn't matter though because it was the teacher who always finished my stuff for me and apart from a night shirt I didn't use anything else.For wood work we made a set of book ends and a chicken that had shelves in it to store eggs.For metal work we made metal shapes that were fired somehow with powder on and had whole drilled in them to turn them into earrings, my mother still wears the ones I made - bless

griffo4, Oct 5, 4:43am
l must have missed out we only ever had cooking and sewing and l used to take my sewing home and do most of it at home but it was never good enough for the teacher as she wanted us to do it all in class but never enough time
l would have loved woodwork and metal work and l never did well at cooking and l don't remember ever having a book only a piece of paper with the recipe on