Cherry cake

cottagerose, Oct 6, 8:54am
Does anyone have a recipe for a cherry cake. Not the fruit, cherries.

carlosjackal, Oct 6, 9:01am
Not sure what you mean: Not the fruit, cherries. can you explain, since cherries are fruit.

panicky, Oct 6, 9:02am
Sherry!

245sam, Oct 6, 9:26am
x1
cottagerose, do you mean glace cherries, dried cherries or canned/frozen cherries, or none of those!
If you are wanting a glace cherry cake, I recall that Alison Holst had a recipe for a cake made with glace cherries + (from memory) coconut.:-))

waswoods, Oct 6, 8:22pm
Cheery cake maybe!

245sam, Oct 6, 9:52pm
Where are you cottagerose!

Please clarify what the recipe that you're wanting is for.:-))

harrislucinda, Oct 6, 10:20pm
justuseaplaincakeandputyourcherriesinbutthenyou saidnotfruitsowhatdoyoumeanahappycakemaybe

cottagerose, Oct 7, 7:19am
One of the girls at my work brought in a cherry cake. It was a pink flavoured cake. No fruit in it. She doesnt want to share the recipe. Ive seen them at paknsave too. The pinkness is probably from food colouring

gardie, Oct 7, 7:24am
Ok! Call me weird but I sometimes think that almond essence gives a cherry like flavour and it was pink with the name cherry cake, I'm sure it would pass as one.Perhaps a vanilla cake mix with some almond essence in place of the vanilla and some pink food colouring.I wonder if perhaps you can actually get a cherry essence.I know years ago the Rawleighs man had fruit essences - not sure whether he still does or not.

245sam, Oct 7, 8:01am
I have just done a Google search and it is possible to buy Cherry Essence; however I'm not sure if it is available for purchase here in N.Z.:-))

carlosjackal, Oct 7, 8:52am
Kirsch is a Cherry Liqueur from the Continent and available from specialty/boutique bottle stores.

carlosjackal, Oct 7, 8:54am
A slight bitter-almond taste in Kirsch (Cherry Liqeuer) is derived from the Cherry stones in the making of Kirsch.

sarahb5, Oct 8, 4:52am
Did she actually make it herself or does she not want to admit that she either bought it or used a packet!I'm pretty sure Betty Crocker make a pink cake mix although I'm pretty sure it's strawberry flavoured - maybe you can change the flavour so it tastes like cherries instead!

geldof, Oct 8, 5:28am
I have cherry essence.I bought it from Bin Inn.

I wonder if sarahb5 is right.Seems strange not to share a recipe unless it is an old family secret.
I'd bet it was the betty crocker strawberry one.

sarahb5, Oct 8, 6:54am
If someone is complimentary enough about my baking I'm always happy to share the recipe - unless I've used a packet which I will confess sometimes I do.In fact, the best banana I've ever made was a packet of Homebrand buttercake mix with mashed bananas added!

cottagerose, Oct 8, 9:45am
Youll all think Im mad but Ive just solved the problem. She called it cherry cake but its actually red velvet. Thanks for your input everyone,and I will be buying the cherry essence from Binn Inn so thanks geldof

cookiebarrel, Oct 8, 11:42am
No I don't think you are mad.An unusual name substitute she used!Red velvet is usually a chocolate cake with red colouring and not what I would call pink in any way.Maybe she ran out of cocoa or chocolate and had limited red colouring.Hmmmm.