One stunning baking item needed!

Page 1 / 2
tymar, Oct 6, 5:11am
In a competition and need a grand finale baking/dessert item HELP, my repitoire is bankrupt

geldof, Oct 6, 5:47am
Yikes, only a family baker here.

valentino, Oct 6, 6:11am
What do you mean "Bankrupt", is it that your mind is blank trying to think of something!
Do you need something different, original, simple, or just some good basic ideas.

To kick start thoughts.
Banana Coconut Cake, a top line exquisite cake with passion fruit pulp, cocnut,with cream cheese topping with coconut;
Bread and Putter Pudding made with croisonts with berries, choc buttons and a banana baked in a tin or in individuals tins like cupcakes.;
Roast Banana Cheesecake;
Greek Coconut and Lemon Syrup cake that has a meringue topping with jam;
Rhubarb Butterscotch Layer Cake with a caramel icing made from cream, cream cheese;
Peach Melba mille Feuille, a dessert of pancakes, peaches, raspberries, pastry and cream plus.

Others may further thoughts but we do need some idea more on your thinking or what sort of competition wether your baking skills or something original.

Note: above recipes are not original.

Cheers.

figjamto, Oct 6, 9:19pm
I am also just a family baker, and I have not made this yet but thinking of doing so for a special occasion.google - sweet and salty cake - looks and sounds good !

ecd_nz, Oct 6, 10:08pm
Take a look at www.browneyedbaker.com. Her recipes are amazing and have never failed for me!

buzzy110, Oct 7, 3:00am
Pannacotta with raspberry jus with caramel or chocolate lattice. Small ginger snap baskets (latticed or rectangle shaped would be good) filled with creme patisserie or custard and fresh fruits. Decorate with mint leaves and 'crafty' style chocolate. Creme Anglaise with your choice offlavour (vanilla seeds maybe) for the finishing touches.

tymar, Oct 7, 3:06am
Thanks for the inspiration! I knew I would get good ideas here!

chatsmom, Oct 7, 3:36am
Annabel Langbein Strawberry Cloud Cake is one I'd suggest.

bridget107, Oct 7, 4:12am
What about a batch of easy chocolate chip biscuits! http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/chocolate-chip-cookies/

babytears, Oct 7, 5:18am

tymar, Oct 7, 5:39am
Wow what a beautiful picture!

griffo4, Oct 7, 5:44am
Drools at the picture and l have only just crawled out of the other link to brown eyed baker

tymar, Oct 7, 6:44am
Same, it's a great site!

marcs, Oct 7, 11:17am
I would keep it simple but elegant. Can"t go without the old favourites. This chocolate mud cake is absolutely divine.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html

very_hotpants, Oct 7, 7:34pm
OMG!
Have you made this!

very_hotpants, Oct 7, 7:35pm
Our party piece are cupcakes decorated to a theme and then stuck onto a poly cone to make a tree. More of a xmas thing but we have adapted it.

very_hotpants, Oct 7, 7:38pm
mmmm and its breakfast time

cerebral1, Oct 8, 7:27am
I have 4 easy to make and amazing recipes:
bacon brownies (super rich chocolate brownies with tiny crunchy salty bits of bacon)
chocolate cupcakes with ganache centre
triple chocolate fudge cookies
and my super easy ginger and lime cheesecake
let me know if you want the recipes.

ayglepaygle, Oct 8, 11:58pm
Would love the recipes. Thanks

babytears, Oct 14, 3:55am
Yes I have made it. only onve before. take a bit of time. but worth it. delish, moreish, rich,very decadent!

janetta, Oct 14, 4:45am
cerebral 1 - I would love your ginger and lime cheesecake recipie please
Thanks

arcane1315, Oct 14, 7:34am
Valentinodo you have the banana coconut cake recipe please.Living in rarotonga currently, so have all the fesh ingredients to hand :-)

wheelz, Oct 14, 8:15am
Awaits the ginger and lime cheesecake

valentino, Oct 14, 10:24pm
Banana Coconut cake
1 ½ cups dessicated Coconut
1 ¼ cups Milk for soaking
185 grams butter softened not melted
1 ½ cups castor sugar
3 eggs
3 ripe bananas
2/3 cup milk
3 cups self raising flour
Passion Fruit pulp (optional for serving)

Cream Cheese Icing;
100 grams butter softened
600 grams icing sugar sifted
250 grams cream cheese softened
Juice and Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup Long Thread Coconut for the topping toasted.

Preheat oven to 180c.
Grease and line a 26cm spring form round tin.
Place coconut and first measure of milk together in a bowl, leave to soak.
In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together.
Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of bowl and beating well after each egg.
Once the eggs are combined, add the soaked milky coconut and mashed bananas, mix all together.
Add the second measure of milk and the flour, alternating between each.
Mix all well and pour into tin.
Bake for approx. 1 hour or until a skewer is inserted into the centre and comes out clean.

To prepare the icing;
In a cake mixer combine the butter and icing sugar until fine breadcrumbs are formed.
Add cream cheese, juice and zest.
Beat on high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.

Once the cake is cooled, ice with the icing.
Sprinkle with toasted coconut and drizzle with a spiral of passion fruit pulp for a final flourish.

Serve.

arcane1315, Oct 15, 7:14am
Thanks for the recipe valentino. Next weekends baking solved