Kitchen aid ice cream maker and recipes please

kiwiscrapper1, Sep 11, 8:59pm
I have bought the kitchen aid ice-cream maker and followed the instructions perfectly, I thought! I didnt boil the custard but it still curdled a little, I have carried on with it, will it make any difference to the ice cream! also does anyone else use this make and if you have a recipe that doesnt use 7 eggs!

sarahb5, Sep 11, 9:49pm
Mr 14 made ice cream at the weekend - tastes divine - and was just 300ml cream, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of caster sugar and some vanilla essence.We don't have an ice cream maker though so just used the hand mixer and seems to have worked perfectly - it certainly tastes good!

kiwiscrapper1, Sep 11, 9:54pm
Is that whole eggs Sarahb5 or just the yolks! I have made annabel langbeins before and that devine for a special occasion. But as i have bought the maker I would like to get it right!

rogergayle, Sep 11, 10:00pm
We have a sunbeam icecream maker and we use 300ml milk 300ml cream 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 3 egg yolks and current fave at mo is to add Baileys and choc chips while mixing in machine with a little orange zest is super yummy

sarahb5, Sep 11, 11:26pm
Both - you separate the eggs and whisk the whites with half the sugar and the yolks with the other half then fold them together with the whipped cream and vanilla essence.Of course, he's a boy so he put chocolate chips in it too .

korbo, Sep 11, 11:53pm
Has anyone got the icecream maker from Kmart, and if so, is it any good.!

kiwiscrapper1, Sep 12, 12:04am
Mmmm that does sound yummy.so you just mix together in the icecream maker bowl! Sounds too easy lol, and how long do you mix it for! Sorry for all the q's i have never had one before Thanks, this is one i will try.

rogergayle, Sep 12, 2:04am
Hi you need to heat cream and milk together dont boil add to whisked egg yolks and the sugar then whisk a bit then return this mix to pot and cook slowly to a custard doesnt have to be too thick though. We chill this down a bit in fridge (or freezer ) if you are in a hurry. Add mix when you are ready to machine add in 1/4 cup bayleys and zest just before machine is finished add choc chips or a swirl of choc sauce too is great. The custard is the base for all our icecream we make rum and raisin is yummy and plain vanilla with essence is nice too. Cant beat the alcohol based ones though lol.

shop-a-holic, Sep 12, 6:42am
I have a KitchenAid one and adore it.

Basic Custard

500mls Cream
500mls Milk (must be full fat Farmhouse Milk; not trim, lite or homogenised)
Split, scrap and add a whole Vanilla Pod (optional).
Scald. This means bring to just under a boil.
Remove from heat, and leave on bench for three hours and leave to infuse.
Cool completely. Room temp is fine.

In the bowl of a bench top mixer

8 eggs yolks
1 cup of caster sugar
Beat on low speed ( to stop splattering) increasing speed; beat at full speed until mixture is pale; fluffy and tripled in volume. This process cooks the yolks.
Reduce speed and slowly add the cooled custard. Again, just to reduce splattering, increase speed and mix thoroughly.
Transfer mixture back to a clean pot, place on a low heat, and increase heat to scald. Not boil.
Remove from heat; strain and place in a fridge for at least 12 hours or overnight.

Next day

Follow the instructions of your ice cream mixture, and churn for 12-15 minutes. Pour soft serve into a container and place in freezer.
This recipe makes 2 litres of ice cream, and I generally use a sistema 2 litre container.

Adding flavours
Most flavours are added to the soft serve 2 minutes before churning has finished. Honeycomb; pistachios; fruit and nuts etc.
This is because the churning has sufficiently cooled and created volume in the custard, and thus additional ingredients will not sink to the bottom of the ice cream, but will be distributed throughout the mixture.

Variations
70% Cocoa Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream

300mls Cream
300mls of Farmhouse Milk
2 whole blocks or 400gms 70% Cocao Chocolate

Break chocolate into single pieces, melt with Cream and Milk. Stir. USE LOW HEAT.
Add split and scraped Vanilla Pod (optional).
Scald.
When cooled, add to egg and sugar process.
**Warning: this is superior to the $20 per litre ice creams on the market today**.

Coconut and Tahitian Lime

Swap out 500mls of Cream for Coconut Cream
500mls Farmhouse Milk
No Vanilla.
Proceed as above.

Zest the skin of 3 limes, and juice 5 of them.
Add lime juice and zest 2 minutes before churning process ends.
Lime Zest and Juice oxidises 10 x faster than lemons; so I advise to add them in the final churning process. They will also curdle any mixture prior to the churning process.
A lesson well learned.

Adding Fruit Compotes; Jams; Maple Syrup or Golden etc if you are looking for a "Ripple Ice Cream" effect.

Leave this process until you have poured your churned mixture into a suitable container for the freezer.
Distribute or pour jam/syrup and compotes along the length of the container, and using a spoon, stir or move them, within the ice cream only once. You don't want to mix it all up.