YOUR BEST MACARONI CHEESE RECIPE

angel361, Sep 15, 5:05am
This may have already discussed so sorry if it has.Looking for your best recipies.Trying to budget, thanks (I know that there is a budget thread on here).Otherwise any yummy, cheap, budget ideas would be great, cooking for 2 adults and 2 children, thanks

valentino, Sep 15, 5:40am
Jamie Oliver's Cauliflower Macaroni is very nice and is refreshing after all the other more traditional Macaroni Cheese recipies.

gerry64, Sep 15, 5:54am
This is my families favourite - I add chopped walnuts and cherry tomatoes
http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/4717/chuck-s-favorite-mac-and-cheese.aspx

jimmy2102, Sep 15, 6:05am
I start rue with bay leaves and finely chopped onion sweated off, also have to have finely sliced cooked bacon in it, yum i might make it tomorrow. Smoked paprika and cayenne.

3jtrader, Sep 15, 6:19am
When we have macaroni cheese I add to the pasta and sauce sliced vegetables, some bacon or a couple of sausages, cut up into reasonably small bits, and breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top, and serve it as a one-dish-dinner.
You can stretch one packet of sausages or bacon a long way by adding a little to vegetables with a yummy sauce, and serving with your choice of starches.

grandma, Sep 15, 6:23am
x1
This is my family's favourite.
MACARONI CHEESE – Alison Holst
6 – 8 servings
2 cups (1/2 packet macaroni)
3 cups water
100 g butter
1 cup milk
4 cups (250g) grated cheese
¼ cup flour
(onion or bacon, optional)
Use a 8 – 10 cup microwave-proof casserole for this, or the mixture will boil over during cooking. Don’t cover.Takes around 30 mins to make.
Measure the macaroni.
Measure the water (pref. hot tap water) cubed butter into casserole dish.
Add macaroni, stir well and microwave on high for 12 mins, stirring after 8 – 10 mins.
Leave to stand for 5 mins.
Stir in the milk. Mix the grated cheese with the flour and stir it into the macaroni mixture.
Cook on high for 3 – 4 mins stirring twice, or cook on med for 6 – 8 mins, stirring once.
(I halve the recipe for 4, depending how hungry they are!)

bid-warz, Sep 15, 6:25am
What - no bacon!

bid-warz, Sep 15, 6:26am
I use chopped up bacon bits and I make a cheese sauce (white sauce with some cheese)just to not add so many calories as cheese can give, and I put at least half a chopped up onion in.

petal1955, Sep 15, 7:12am
MACARONI CHEESE

MAKES 4 SERVINGS-----

75 G BUTTER------
1 TSP CRUSHED GARLIC ----
2 CUPS MACARONI---- SPIRALS, SEA SHELLS ELBOWS
2 CUPS BOILING WATER-----
1 CUP MILK-----
2 CUPS GRATED CHEESE-----
2 TBSP FLOUR------
1 ONION FINELY CUT-----
BACON PIECES -------
BROCOLI PIECES-------
RED PEPPER DICED--------
SLICED TOMATOES FOR TOPPING------
CHOPPED PARSLEY------
½ TSP CAYENNE PEPPER
1 TBSP DRY MUSTARD POWDER -----
EXTRA GRATED CHEESE FOR TOPPING

*****IF YOU LIKE A CRISP TOPPING MAKE IT BEFORE YOU COOK THE MACARONI ------
MICROWAVE A MIXTURE OF DRIED OR FRESH BREADCRUMBS WITH 1 TBSP BUTTER AND 1 TBSP CHOPPED PARSLEY AND COOK FOR2-4 MINUTES STIRRING AFTER EACH MINUTE------THEN SET ASIDE-*******

CUT BUTTER IN CUBES ----- PLACE PASTA, CHOPPED ONION,BACON, BROCOLI, GARLIC AND BUTTER IN A LARGE DISH AND ADD BOILING WATER AND COOK UNCOVERED ON MED HIGH POWER
FOR 12-15 MINUTES STIRRING EVERY 5 MINS------- STIR IN MILK ------ COOK FOR 2 MIN TO WARM MILK----- ON A PIECE OF HANDEE TOWELMIX GRATED CHEESE WITH FLOUR, CAYENNE PEPPER AND DRY MUSTARD POWDER AND PARSLEY AND STIR INTO THE HOT PASTA MIXTURE-----AND MICROWAVE ONHIGH POWER FOR 3-4 MINUTES.--------

THEN PLACE THE BREACRUMB TOPPING ON TOP ALONG WITH THE TOMATO SLICES AND GRATED CHEESE AND POP UNDER THE GRILLER TILL CRISPY

suzanna, Sep 15, 7:57am
Angel if you scroll down a bit you will see a'budgets- who needs them' thread. You will be amazed at the amount of fantasic posts on there and at the amount - pages! Cheers.
Just bumped it for you- happy reading!

angel361, Sep 15, 10:24pm
Thanks everyone for your posts