Can anyone help me with a specific coffee cake

mabelle2, Sep 18, 2:50am
recipe please!
It was called cappuccino cake, and used only the egg yolks in the base with the whites whipped into a pav on top.
I also remember it had a decent amount of strong black coffee in the base, not essence. And it was very moist, not dry or sponge-like.
Google is not helping at the moment.

I can figure it out if i could find a good coffee cake recipe that just used egg yolks though if anyone had one!

geldof, Sep 18, 2:55am
I don't know, but it sounds intriguing.

245sam, Sep 18, 3:13am
mabelle2, was the Cappuccino Cake recipe this one - it's an Edmond's recipe!

CAPPUCCINO CAKE
150g butter
¾ cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1½ cups standard grade flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup strong black coffee, cooled
1 tsp cinnamon

Melt the butter in a saucepan large enough to mix all the ingredients.Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and egg yolks.Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder alternately with the coffee.Place the mixture in a 20cm round springform tin lined on the base with baking paper.Spread the topping over.
Bake at180°Cfor45-50 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Cool in the tin before releasing the sides of the tin.Cool.Dust with cinnamon.

Topping:
3 egg whites
¾ cup caster sugar

Beat the egg whites until stiff.Gradually beat in the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is thick.:-))

kirmag, Sep 18, 3:30am
Oh oh oh I love that cake!Easy to make.But I find I need to cook it much longer then what the recipe says.But yep that's it above from the Edmonds Illustrated Cookbook.

Made it last for my sister's bday cos it's easy to make dairy free, just substitute the butter for marg.

245sam, Sep 18, 3:37am
kirmag, I'm not doubting that you have the recipe in the Edmonds Illustrated Cookbook but the recipe I posted above is from a little book called simply "CAKES" - it's the first title in what was then (1999) a new "mini" series of books "devoted to individual styles of baking".The book was a gift and it's the only one of that series that I have so I'm not aware of how many or what other titles were in the series.:-))

kirmag, Sep 18, 3:42am
Oh nah sam I wasn't saying you had the wrong book or anything like that.I'm sure it's in most different editions of the Edmond's cookbooks.Was just waying that it was in that one.The pic was what made me make it in the first place.I'm more visual.

mabelle2, Sep 18, 3:54am
yes yes! thank you SO much i've been missing this recipe & i wanted to do something special for Mums birthday
The poor book it came from got left behind years ago at an old house
again, thank you