"Sandwich" sliced bread

Page 1 / 2
olwen, Sep 21, 3:59am
Looks more like toast sliced to me, and thicker each time I buy it.If I wanted thick bread I'd buy toast sliced.

marob2, Sep 21, 4:28am
I do agree.It is hard to find a thin slice to make sandwiches for a gathering.Not every body wants a meal sized bite.!

rainrain1, Sep 21, 4:48am
I never have any trouble finding thin sliced bread, I buy it all the time

vinee, Sep 21, 4:52am
yeah, it used to be super thin!
and then was the next size up "normal" and then toast!
I thought there were 3 sizes!

olwen, Sep 21, 7:16am
Not where I shop.

sticky232, Sep 21, 7:33am
I buy sandwich bread too but sometimes it has holes in the slices which is annoying

grandma, Sep 21, 8:57am
I usually may my own bread, but sometimes buy sandwich sliced bread to make a plate etc.I thought it was just me as I also notice that the slices are much thicker than usual - annoying if you want to make those special sandwiches to take to a "do".

grandma, Sep 21, 8:58am
Woops! Should have typed "make"!

esther-anne, Sep 21, 9:11am
So rainrain and olwen-why the secrecy-do tell where you get sandwich bread you are satisfied with!

I'll share mine-after years of the expensive stuff at supermarkets I discovered Rivermill - here in Auckland - mainly sold at the fruiterer where I also regularly buy my much cheaper fruit and veges!

Rivermill wholemeal sandwich loaves are the thinnest I have found in a long time and make delicious none-clargy sandwiches."Clargy" being a Lancashire description of something that clings to the roof of one's mouth!

olwen, Sep 21, 9:51am
I don't get bread I am satisfied with.I shop at Countdown, Couplands and New World (no real other choices).A lot of the bread I would like to buy only comes in toast sliced, and the "sandwich" sliced bread is a lot thicker than I would like.The man of the house likes white bread, and has taken a lliking to New World made on the premises, which is much thicker than I would like.

shop-a-holic, Sep 21, 10:15am
Couplands. not enough flavour and lacks depth of texture due to lack of mixing.
Unfortuately Countdown and New World make bread from pre-mixers; so that there is a consistency for customers across all sites.

I enjoy Brumby's both in Wellington and at Barrington Mall in Christchurch. I buy either the farmhouse loaf, tank loaves or Cobbs. They cut the bread to your specification at no extra charge.

Brumbys in Blenheim, 65 Queen St.It actually tastes like bread.

olwen, Sep 21, 10:22am
Maybe I need to give Brumby's another go.It's not that convenient.Last time I was there I think I was only offered 2 choices.

kinna54, Sep 21, 10:47am
A lot of Supermarket bakery's will actually slice their own bread for you.to your requirements. I know I have bought bakery bread at our PNS and they have done it.
I remember the days of the really thin sliced bread. (made beautiful asparagus rolls) and you had a choice of white or brown, and you could buy thin, medium and then toast.

rainrain1, Sep 21, 7:35pm
Shhhh , I'll only tell you, I buy from New World, and there's a big clue written on the side of the bag, it says Sandwich Slice.

esther-anne, Sep 21, 8:18pm
Thanks rainrain-I promise to keep it to myself!

rainrain1, Sep 21, 9:46pm
brilliant!

valentino, Sep 21, 10:26pm
I was trying to think of the bread or the brand name that had extra thin slices of sandwich bread, was ideal as the middle slice in club sandwiches.

Don't seem to be around anymore.

kinna54, Sep 22, 2:04am
Valentino I think it was Home style! or similar.Does that ring a bell. I can remember the packaging.green & white for extra thin I think.

valentino, Sep 22, 2:41am
No, it was another brand name and they were nice good sized square cuts too, ideal and it did come in white or brown as it was known, gosh this name is escaping me but belore the more modern names now.
Another clue is that this name isn't used or haven't been seen much at all these days. Looking back only as far as the 80's or the late 8o's being the last time we used them. Hmmmm.

I think had the word Stein as part of the name or something like that. Editing to add this but starting to come. hmmm Rizensteins or something. getting there, lol, could be part of Home style but unsure. they bought out some very nice buns also, both plain and fruity ones.

davidt4, Sep 22, 2:47am
Reizensteins!Or something like that.The Klisser family's bread.

valentino, Sep 22, 2:48am
Yes Helen, The klissers brand name.

Very nice breads for general use for gatherings.
Cheers.

They were great because in those days, budgets for gatherings, emphasis was placed on getting value for money and these loaves you would have extra number of slices and the bread went a lot further and it was reasonably good bread to use, Thank you.

valentino, Sep 22, 3:15am
An Interesting read.re Reizentstein's Breads
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/honoured-new-zealanders/news/article.cfm!c_id=513&objectid=3541600

Noted Vogel.
Fielder Goodman bought them out in 1990. Hmmmm.

mwood, Sep 22, 5:33am
I ask Countdown Springlands to slice it for me when I need "thin"

maxrevs, Sep 22, 9:21am
Vogel makes a thin sliced soft whole grain loaf great for ladies sandwiches, which it sounds like you are after, lovely with cucumber or asparagus.

guest, Mar 21, 1:29pm
HI!! I was trying to leave you a comnmet on your About page then went to About me..and wanted to leave you more comnmets or just hug you and tell you thank you for saying what you say out loud!!So I just came to this post to say it because after reading your moving moving poem..then reading Nadia's comnmet that she offered (thank you Nadia!)..my eyes are welled up with tears and I feel very very connected all of a sudden So thank you for doing what you do for sharing and Im going to ad you to my blog roll so I can come back often as I read your words I felt I could relate on so many levels so feel free to check out my blog if you like I am not half as articulate as you and usually over analyzing much of what i live and experience but deep down I know the beauty and power we hold within ourselves..and am trying to nurture and grow in that area day by day So thank you a big hug from Canada for being so courageous and beautiful