Fresh Beetroot and overload of carrots.

dolphinlu, Sep 19, 8:57pm
Thanks in advance for your wonderful recipes to use this.I am thinking of trying to make beetroot like you buy in a can.Hoping you can help or have other suggestions. I get my vegetables from a co op so not always sure what to do with.

geldof, Sep 19, 9:41pm
Roast your beetroot.Yum.Really nice roasted with some oil and orange zest.

Carrot and ginger soup!

dolphinlu, Sep 19, 10:19pm
Can you post the recipe for soup.How long do you roast the beetroot for!
Thanks

jennyp2, Sep 19, 10:40pm
have you a juicer! 6 carrots, 2 oranges, piece of ginger and a beetroot, juiced, makes a great liver cleansing drink - I've been having one a day now for months and feel amazing, full of energy

fifie, Sep 19, 10:56pm
Bottled pickled beetroot. Then use in a yummy salad.
5-6 beetroot, 1 cup brown malt vinegar. 1/2 cup water. 1/2 cup sugar. 1/4 tsp cinnamon. 2 whole cloves. 4 peppercorns. 1 ~ 2 bay leaves
Cook 5 - 6 beetroot in salted water until just knife tender.
Simmer mixture for 15 mins. Pack sliced beetroot or (1.5cm dices) into hot sterilized jars and pour sieved vinegar over. Seal.
I do both, some sliced and some diced which gives great flavour and colour to green salads over summer. great with goats milk feta cheese added which takes on the colour.
use the cubed bottled beetroot when you make a green salad.
Toms, spring onions, grated carrot or peeled strips, lettuce,capsicum, celery, cucumber with some fine chopped parsley, basil and mint. Add a raw fine sliced asparagus or two for that "pea" flavour and some mushrooms to make a magic salad.home made dressing and all tossed . then more slices of tomato and feta broken up small all over the top.
Thanks to our Fisher on here, this is another way to bottle beetroot and give it some zing.

frances1266, Sep 19, 11:58pm
Just posted a coleslaw recipe in the Easy & Tasty Vegetarian thread that has a lot of beetroot and carrot in it.

actiongirl1, Sep 20, 12:39am
Hi, with the roasted beetroot, do you cut it!. doesn't it bleed! wouldn't it colour all the other veges you are roasting!
Sorry, but I just can"t seem to get my head around it. DUH!
Thanks

valentino, Sep 20, 2:49am
Similar to fifie post 5 above.

Basically just cover beetroot with water, bring to the boil and then lower the heat to simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour plus depending on quantity.

Allow to cool slightly enough to handle and rub off the outer layers (skins) then slice them up and add a nice very hot mild vinegar based brine mixture.

Put into jars and seal.

dolphinlu, Sep 20, 2:50am
Thanks valentino my son love eating tin beetroot.

raj62, Sep 20, 3:40am
Peel beetroot and cube into large chunks place in oven tray (line with baking paper) sprinkle with balsamic brown sugar and olive oil, roast 30/45 minutes.

Nice eaten on own as a vege or mix with salad greens feta, red onion or couscous and same combo, just whatever is at hand really for a salad.

kirmag, Sep 20, 3:48am
Easy carrot salad - grate carrots, pour over some oragne juice (or if you have an abundance of oranges, squeeze over some orange juice) and toast some slivered almonds.Mix all together, easy, simple, yum and tasty.

Sorry I don't do quantities, I just make it and taste as I go and all depends how much carrot you use with how much juice. but you don't want it soaking in it, just so it coats all the grated bits :)

medicina, Sep 20, 10:15am
Salad= Grated carrot, beetroot and apple.Equal proportions. Loved by children.

Can make muffins with cooked beetroot or carrot, food processed with apple. Would have to hunt out recipe for ya.

evie.t76, Sep 22, 3:13am
Yum beetroot and carrot juice,love it!Also carrot and beetroot cake yummo!

dolphinlu, Sep 24, 2:10am
Can you send me recipe at trade name at the xtra place. thanks

bev00, Dec 22, 11:23am
just cook the carrots then drain when tender, throw in a dollop of butter and a teaspoon or 2 of brown sugar then saute altogether till carrots coated. Sorry - dont have anything more exciting.

Quotegardie (400 )1:13 pm, Thu 23 Dec #2
carrots can be substituted in the following recipe in place of the peas.

PEAS IN ORANGE SAUCE - always popular in our house

2-3 cups (310g-465g) frozen peas
1 tbsp sugar
1-2 tsp cornflour
½ tsp each of salt and grated orange rind
½ cup orange juice
2 tbsp butter

Cook the peas in a small amount of unsalted boiling water, then drain them well.
Meanwhile, in a microwave-proof bowl mix the sugar, cornflour, salt and orange rind. Gradually mix in the orange juice. Cook on 100% power/HIGH until thickened and just boiling, stirring every 1 minute. Add the butter and stir until the butter is melted. Reheat the sauce if necessary, then add the peas and stir through gently. Reheat again if necessary, then serve.
Note: This sauce freezes really well so it can be convenient to make twice the above recipe and freeze half of the sauce for later use.

Hope that helps. :-))

Quote245sam (33 )1:31 pm, Thu 23 Dec #3
this is a nice salad, Ingredients
2 pounds carrots, sliced 1 stalk celery, chopped 1 green bell pepper, chopped 1 onion, chopped 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup 1/3 cup vegetable oil 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar 2/3 cup white sugar
Directions
Bring a pot of water to boil, add carrots and boil until the carrots are just tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain well.
In a mixing bowl combine the celery, green pepper, carrots and onion.
Bring tomato soup, oil, vinegar and sugar to a boil. Stir well. Remove the mixture from the heat and let cool, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour the mixture over the vegetables, mix until all of the vegetables are coated. Marinate this salad overnight before serving. Keep in jars in the fridge lasts about 10 days.

Quotemargyr (467 )2:55 pm, Thu 23 Dec #5
I also love roast carrots, perhaps roast and in the last 15 mins or so pour over some, melted butter, brown sugar, orange juice and turn the heat up so they caramelise.

Quotemargyr (467 )2:56 pm, Thu 23 Dec #6
GLAZED CARROTS

Cooked carrots that have been cut diagonally

1 tbsp honey

1 tbsp brown sugar

pinch dry mustard powder

pinch cayenne pepper

melt those until slightly melted add carrots and toss with some parsley

Quotepetal1955 (189 )3:06 pm, Thu 23 Dec #7
-Tossed in freshly grated ginger and butter once cooked.

-Tossed with toasted cumin seeds