Cake pops/ candy melts help please!

katie81, Sep 17, 12:32am
Thought recipes would be the best place to ask this.I'm trying to make cake pops for the first time ever and my candy melts aren't melting! I'm following the instructions on the packet (microwave 30 secs at a time stirring inbetween) but they are not getting nice and smooth and runny for me to be able to dip the balls in. Have tried googling it and found heaps of other people with the same problem, but no solutions! Help please! :-)

accroul, Sep 17, 1:44am
try adding a small amount (1/4tsp up to 1tsp) of neutral cooking oil

cookiebarrel, Sep 17, 10:59am
katie81.anytime I have used my microwave to melt them I have had the same problem as you, although I have heard from others who have no hassles, so wonder if it is the brand or wattage of my microwave.Everytime I want to melt choc buttons or candy melts I use the bowl over a saucepan of hot water and never have any problems, although it does take a bit of extra carenot to let water get into mix, but it works fine for me.

cookiebarrel, Sep 17, 11:05am
Also I find that the Sun Valley choc drops (from NW supermarket) melt the best and stay thin and runny for dipping though they do take a bit longer to set, good in the way that you can dip quite a few before it starts to thicken again.Also find that Countdown's Signature range of Choc Buttons are really good also.But that's just my findings.

suby92, Sep 24, 2:26am
I always use the Signature range choc buttons for my cake pops, once melted and smooth they stay like that for ages. Good especially if you are just giving it a go. They give a nice smooth finish on the cake pop too.