Post your favourite mince recipe please

zharacadz, Sep 25, 1:22am
I am over lasagne and spaghetti boleneise (sp) and am looking for other ideas for dinner tonight please.

245sam, Sep 25, 1:30am
zharacadz, what would you prefer.meatballs/burgers, meatloaf, casserole-type mince dish (e.g. moussaka, pastitio- layered mince and pasta)!
Mince has so very many uses, so can you please tell us what type of dish you'd like and also what you have on hand (vegetables, etc.) to include with the mince!:-))

zharacadz, Sep 25, 1:42am
Casserole type dish would be nice. I have onions, carrots, courgettes, broccoli and broccolini. I also have pasta sauces as well :)

245sam, Sep 25, 1:56am
I have Alison Holst's little book "Best Mince Recipes" so which, if any of these appeal! -Moussaka (layers of eggplant and mince topped with sauce); Murphy's Moussaka (similar to above but no eggplant, instead potato slices); Cottage Pie (similar to Shepherds Pie).:-))

Edited to add FYI that these are the recipe categories in Alison's book so there are lots of recipes to choose from, many many of which I have not personally tried, however I'm happy to share.
Starters, Meat Balls and Finger Foods
Spicy Tex-Mex and Mexican Flavours
Exotic Indian and Asian Ideas
Sizzling Burgers
Warming Casseroles & Favourite Lasagnes
Mouthwatering Meat Loaves
Mediterranean Mince
Ever-popular Pies
Quick and Easy One Pan Dinners and Child Pleasers

asue, Sep 25, 2:03am
x1
mince chow mein

245sam, Sep 25, 2:17am
Here's a recipe that would make use of your carrots and courgettes (or broccoli) - it's not a casserole but it looks both easy to make and may be a nice change for you.

Alison Holst’s “BUTTONS AND BOWS” FRYPAN DINNER
For 4-5 servings:
2 tsp oil
1 large onion
1 tsp chopped garlic
500g minced beef or lamb
3 medium carrots
3 cups water
150g (bow-shaped pasta
½ tsp salt
4 medium zucchini, (250g)
1 can (about 430g) concentrated chicken soup - use another concentrated creamy soup (e.g. tomato, pumpkin or mushroom) instead of the chicken soup, if desired
2-3 tbsp chopped parsley or other fresh herbs

Heat the oil in a large fry pan.Add the chopped onion, the garlic and the minced beef or lamb and brown slightly, stirring to break up the mince.
Cut the carrots into slices about 5mm thick (the red buttons) and add to the pan with the water and bring to the boil.Add the pasta and the salt, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Slice the zucchini (green buttons) a little thicker than the carrots, and stir them into the mixture in the pan. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes longer, until the pasta and zucchini are just tender.Open the can of soup (stir if solidified), then add with the parsley or herbs and bring to the boil.
Turn off and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
Serve in bowls, sprinkling each serving with chopped parsley or a little grated cheese, if you like.
Variations:
• For a richer, creamy sauce, add ¼ cup cream with the soup.
• Replace the zucchini with green beans or broccoli, as long as you don't mind doing without the green buttons!:-))

zharacadz, Sep 25, 2:18am
Fantastic! thanks Sam, going to give it a go!

alfredtonroad, Sep 25, 8:18am
tonight we had mince mixed with a tin of black beans with chilli (mild) and used it to fill tortillas with lettuce, tomato, grated carrot, whatever else you please

clareo, Sep 25, 8:20am
Well too late for tonight - but what about Bobotie:

Ingredients

1 fairly thick slice crustless bread (white or brown)
375 ml milk
25 ml oil
10ml butter
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed…(I slice them thinly, sprinkle with salt and crush with the blade of a knife)
25 ml curry powder
10ml salt
25ml chutney
15ml smooth apricot jam
15ml Worcester sauce
5ml turmeric
25ml brown vinegar
1 kg raw mince
100 ml sultanas (don’t replace with raisins – they are too sweet; sultanas are much better for this recipe)
3 eggs
pinch each salt and turmeric
bay leaves
Soak bread in milk. Heat oil and butter in large pan and fry onions and garlic. When onions are soft, add curry powder, salt, chutney, jam, Worcester sauce, turmeric and vinegar and mix well. Drain and mash bread and reserve milk. Add bread to pan together with mince and sultanas. Cook over low heat, stirring, and when meat loses its pinkness, remove from stove. Add 1 beaten egg, mix well, then spoon into a greased, 28 x 16 cm baking dish and level the top.

Beat remaining eggs with reserved milk (you should have 300 ml, or a little more) and the salt and turmeric. Pour over meat mixture and put a few bay leaves on top. Stand dish in a larger pan of water (this is important to prevent drying out) and bake, uncovered, at 180 degrees celsius for 1 hour or until set.

Serve with rice, coconut, chutney, nuts and bananas.