Right. im going to to make ginger beer

vintagekitty, Sep 20, 6:48am
like the old fashioned stuff from my nans recipe, You know "lashings of ginger beer and a sticky bun" like the famous five!But, I need big beer bottles and I have none, nor am I keen on buying a crate just to have the empty bottles.

What can I use!

vintagekitty, Sep 20, 6:50am
damn typos in the title

jessie981, Sep 20, 6:56am
Surely our plastics will be ok! Keep them out in the garage in case the corks explode. Loved home made Ginger Beer.

greerg, Sep 20, 6:58am
Olive oil or wine bottles!Or does the very expensive dump in Nelson allow you to acquire bottles from the glass recycling area!

vintagekitty, Sep 20, 7:08am
it would be a expensive dump greerg as I live in Dunedin!, but good idea re the wine bottles

Jessie, I really would prefer glass bottles for memories sake, really

vintagekitty, Sep 20, 7:13am
Right, better feed my babies before they "die from starvation" (insert the rolling eyes) but will check back later

Please share some tips or experiences:)

52many, Sep 20, 7:17am
Wine bottles with screw top lids.I

basange, Sep 20, 7:22am
if you make ginger beer with 24 hours rest time, and add it 50/50 to the cheap Pams ginger beer, it actually tastes exactly like Bundaberg, I done this and my son could not tell the difference, he actually reckoned my brew was slightly better.

princess4, Sep 20, 8:38am
1 X empty 1.5 Coke/ Lemonade Bottle.Add some warm tap water around 30 c, add 1/4 tsp bakers yeast. Shake and leave a few minutes.Then ad halfed a juiced Lemon and and half a cup of sugar. And 2 teaspoons ginger powder.Fill up bottle to within a few inches of the top with warm water about 30c temperature.Cap and leave on bench for 24 hours before putting in fridge untill cold.For Lemonade add 1 lemons juice and no ginger powder.I make a bottle of one or the other most days, avoiding preservatives in store brought fizzys.Cheers

daleaway, Sep 21, 12:54am
Screwtop plastic soft drink bottles are fine. They have the added advantage that they start to feel taut when the ginger beer is ready - usually after 3-4 days.