A tasty Spinach Pie without feta ?

kirmag, Sep 10, 2:41am
I have cream cheese, sour cream, colby cheese to grate, some parmassen in there somewhere. just not feta and all recipes to do with spinach pies seem to have damn feta :p

Anyone have a tried and trusted recipe for a yummy cheesy spinach pie!

TIA

245sam, Sep 10, 2:48am
kirmag, here's a couple of recipes from the former Trademe Cooks - they're for silverbeet but should be ok with spinach.

"Silverbeet Pie
This is so yum, my friend Dana gave me the recipe - thanks Dana! 1 Lrg bunch silverbeet, 1/2 cup of cooked rice, 1 cup of grated cheese, 1 finely chopped onion, 1 tsp chicken stock, 1 tsp mixed herbs, 2-3 eggs, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup oil. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Line a tin with baking paper and a sheet of flaky puff pastry. Put mix in and top with remaining pastry - doesn't have to seal. Cook at 180 degs for 40 mins or until set. I also add chicken for a one stop meal. My boys LOVE this and eat heaps!
posted by glendeb

silverbeet pie
a very old favourite in our family and ususally what my 14 year old daughter requests for her birthday tea!
Line a pie dish with flaky pastry and bake blind. Make about 2 cups of white sauce, stir in 1/2 a packet of smoked cheese slices (for some reason you need the cheap stuff, it tastes better!) Stir until melted, then add 3 chopped hardboiled eggs and 4 cups cooked drained silverbeet. Tip the whole lot into the cooked pie shell and crumble over 1/2 big packet (or 2 snack size ones) of plain potato chips, then bake at 180c until the chips are golden and the whole thing is heated through. As you can see I don't measure anything so can't give exact quantities!
posted by sclaredy_cat":-))

kirmag, Sep 10, 2:51am
oh cool thanks for those 245sam

245sam, Sep 10, 2:52am
and here, also from the former Trademe Cooks, are some recipes for spinach pies.

"my recipe for spinach pie
Line or not, your choice, a deep pie dish with pastry. Saute in 2Tbsp oil 1large onion finely chopped and 2 cloves garlic crushed. Add 1lb(500g) spinach and cook gently for 10mins stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. In a bowl beat 2 eggs, ½tsp ground nutmeg, 250g Ricotta(I use Cottage) cheese, ½cup grated parmesan(or tasty) cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mix this into the spinach. Spread filling into pastry case if using. Form a lattice lid on top if you like again I don't bother unless for a special occasion. Bake 200C for 45-50mins. I very rarely bother with the pastry on the bottom as this sets nicely without, similar to the self crusting quiche posted by cqvl"

Do you have any Haloumi or Tofu!.
"Haloumi & Spinach (or silverbeet) Pie
Makes 1 oven tray or 10 small rounds. Dough: 1 tab dried yeast ¾ tsp sugar 2 tab warm water 100g thick yoghurt 1 egg (or extra 50g yoghurt) 60 ml olive oil 310g white flour ½ tsp salt Filling: 550g spinach or silverbeet leaves, blanched and squeezed very dry, chopped. 1 shallot finely chopped zest ½ lemon ½ tsp dried mint 150g haloumi, grated 75g crème fraiche salt white pepper. Give the dough at least 2 hours rising at room temperature or 12 – 36 hours in the fridge. Pat or roll out to completely cover an oiled oven tray. Place filling in centre, leaving a 3cm margin. Fold edges over loosely. Leave to settle while you heat oven to 200C. Bake 25 – 30 min until starting to brown. Serve warm or cool. The dough works well with chappati flour (very finely milled wholemeal) also.
posted by davidt4

Spinach Pie
Pastry; 1C wholemeal flour, 2C white flour, 1/2 t salt, 1 1/4 C water, 1/4C oil. Bring oil & water to the boil, mix with flours& salt to make dough. Roll out for base of pie, fill, then use leftover for top. Cut slits in pastry with knife to let steam out. Bake for 1 hour. Filling: Mix together the following & add to dish; 2large chopped onions, 1 250g block tofu, crumbled, 1/2c olive oil, 11/2 t salt, 11/2C fresh breadcrumbs, 2bunches silverbeet or spinach stalks removed & finely chopped, juice of 1 lemon.
posted by fruitluva2":-))

guest, Apr 6, 7:10am
9kxdrn bnppldtxbqhh