Pumpkin Seasoning

sarahb5, Sep 5, 2:46am
What herbs and/or spices go well in pumpkin mash!I love this as an alternative to mashed potatoes but it gets a bit boring with just a bit of butter and nutmeg or ginger.What do you season yours with!

valentino, Sep 5, 3:03am
Noted you asked for Pumpkin Mash but with spring being here and if you have a spare piece of dirt, try planting some Fennel (for the fresh Leaves etc), great to go with pumpkin with also a sprig of fresh Rosemary whilst being cooked especially whilst being roasted.

For roasting, chunks into tray skin down, brushed with olive Oil, a minute bit of water in tray for moisture and helps the herbs that is sprinkled over the veges plus the usual seasoning of salt and pepper.

The taste, aroma just filters through all.

Editing to add that roasted pumpkins gives the best mash if mash is required.

Cheers.

sarahb5, Sep 5, 3:19am
I don't want it roasted as I don't personally think it adds anything to the flavour of the mash - also it's for dinner tonight so no time to actually grow anything to go with it.I roast skinned pumpkin with olive oil, garlic, lemon and rosemary.

valentino, Sep 5, 4:17am
You did not note this.

davidt4, Sep 5, 5:08am
Blue cheese (folded in, not mashed in)
Parmesan
Rosemary
Roasted garlic
Lewis Road butter
Toasted hazelnuts or pine nuts
Sumac and labna (on top, not mashed in)
Feta (folded in)

ange164, Sep 5, 5:23am
a splash of coconut cream and one or two splodges of sweet chilli sauce.

sarahb5, Sep 5, 5:51am
I didn't know I had to .

sarahb5, Sep 5, 5:52am
Ok - thanks - not really what I had in mind to be honest.

You know how sometimes other people know exactly which herb or spice will complement which particular food, like rosemary with lamb or cinnamon with apple, that's the kind of thing I was after.Just looking for a bit of change fromthe usual.

valentino, Sep 5, 7:34am
It just helps to give a better response.
If I knew this then I would not had responded in my post #2.

sarahb5, Sep 5, 8:47am
Regardless of whether I posted that or not, your response pretty much was entirely related to roast pumpkin anyway .

Anyway, I played around a bit myself and can now say that Chinese five spice mix and a dash of tabasco in mashed pumpkin is very tasty.

davidt4, Sep 5, 9:07am
If you already had something in mind why did you ask for suggestions!Did you just want us to waste our time trying to help!

darlingmole, Sep 5, 9:30am
just saying - but I think that roasting the pumpkin before mashing (probably as quick as boiling anyway!) intensifies the flavour, like caramolising the sugar in it . I definately roast my pumpkin before making into soup.

Oh an wonderful suggestion valintino about he fennel, espectially since I'm sprucing up my vege and herb garden right now!

rosel4, Sep 5, 3:42pm
I personally prefer just fresh chopped parsley and butter for my pumpkin mash with a sprinkle of pepper & salt, sometimes garlic salt.

Eastern flavours are a nice change:

Toast 1 tsp of fennel seeds and 1 tsp of carraway seeds in a small dry fry pan till you smell the heady aromas and hear the seeds pop a little.

Cook + drain
4 small carrots,
2 spuds,
1/4 a small Pumpkin - about 120g (peeled, de seeded)

Mash the veges, toasted seeds, 20g of olive oil and 2 tsp of Harissa paste (I just use creamy real NZ butter).Season to taste.

You could snip up some coriander over the top and a sprinkling of toasted flaked almonds.

You could also top a fish pie or Shepherd's Pie with this.

aw217, Sep 5, 8:00pm
I always put a pinch of chicken stock powder too.

sarahb5, Sep 5, 8:58pm
I didn't have anything in mind - I just rummaged around my pantry when I got home and thought, "hmm Chinese five spice - I wonder if that would work" and it did