Survey about Flavour Enhancer 621 MSG

mme, Feb 7, 2:05am
(mono-sodium glutamate MSG as it's more commonly known)

Question

Would you agree or disagree with this statement?

A product containing Flavour Enhancer 621 (mono-sodium gluatamate MSG) can advertise that it is " All natural colours and flavours. "

Please just type agree or disagree. If you would like to discuss food additives, flavour enhancers or colours please start another thread.

davidt4, Feb 7, 3:13am
Disagree.

davidt4, Feb 7, 3:46am
Here's the link to the original decision. It makes illuminating reading. The complaints committee members were split and the decision not to uphold the complaint was made on a narrow margin.

http://203. 152. 114. 11/decisions/09/09564. doc

natalie9, Feb 7, 3:50am
Totally think it shouldn't be allowed but I know it is (only realised recently too)

herika, Feb 7, 3:51am
DISAGREE!

natalie9, Feb 7, 3:54am
and sorry mme I broke your rules by speaking. Just didn't want it to sound like I agree that it should be allowed, I just agree that it IS allowed.

mme, Feb 7, 5:47am
Oh well that wasn't the original intention of the thread for those of you that already knew or googled it but can someone copy & paste what is written at link atdavidt4's #6 for those us that don't have Word 97 or whatever it is. Thanks

mme, Feb 7, 5:51am
Oh actually I do have it in Read Only form!

mme, Feb 7, 6:23am
"The complaints committee members were split and the decision not to uphold the complaint was made on a narrow margin. " quote from davidt4 at #6

davidt4 where does it say the decision not to uphold the complaint was made on a narrow margin?

Does anyone know how many members are on an ASA Complaints Board?

accroul, Feb 7, 6:24am
Agree - it is derived from the fermentation of carbohydrates therefore is natural.

waipawa, Feb 7, 6:46am
lol! By that definition, everything is "natural".
Heroin is derived from poppy flowers, so it is natural.
The well-known artificial sweetener Aspartame is the methyl ester of the dipeptide of the -NATURAL- amino acids L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine.
Nuclear bombs are derived from uranium ore, so they are natural...

I think the key point regarding the original question is: does the substance (MSG) occur naturally in that food or has it been added in by humans. If the latter, then I call it artificial.

annie.nz, Feb 7, 7:01am
The problem is, when someone says 'natural' do they mean natural, or I-don't-like-it-so-therefore-i-
t-isn't-natural? If the word is to be used in a manner other than its defined one, it has to be made explicit what is actually meant. MSG is certainly natural, and a methyl ester of a dipeptide isn't by necessity unnatural.

mme, Feb 7, 7:42am
MSG is not necessarily natural. It says at the link it can also be chemically produced.

Does anyone know if there is a test to check if the MSG in in fact naturally processed ( fermenting, sterilization, crystallisation) or if it's the chemically produced MSG in the end product?

mme, Feb 7, 7:49am
The original Q at #1 isA product containing Flavour Enhancer 621 (mono-sodium gluatamate MSG) can advertise that it is " All natural colours and flavours. "

Agree/ Disagree

While technically it seems that they can, I contend a layperson would not be expecting a product, so advertised ( "All natural colours and flavours. " ), to contain MSG.

I sure wasn't.

bex32, Feb 7, 8:47am
Disagree! I think it is wrong that they can do this.

frances1266, Feb 7, 6:30pm
Many people react to MSG - to not disclose it is dishonest.

davidt4, Feb 7, 6:40pm
I think the manufacturer of the product still had to disclose the MSGin their list of ingredients; the point of this discussion isthat they were permitted to describe the product as " All natural colours and flavours. "

herika, Feb 7, 8:32pm
I think MSG should be stipulated as such on a label. "All natural colours and flavours" could be absolutely anything! MSG is a nasty additive, and people who know about its nefarious qualities should be able to avoid buying any product with MSG in it. There are so many "hidden" additives and things in products it makes it difficult for people with intolerances/allergies etc unless the product is labelled correctly :)

mme, Feb 8, 6:45am
Yes 621 & 635 were listed on the packet. It was in the letter that came with the sample that the claim "All natural colours and flavours" was made.

I didn't get time to call the ASA today to answer my further questions. May do tomorrow.

accroul, Feb 8, 7:30am
If the MSG is from natural sources then the manufacturer's claim "All natural colours and flavours" is legit in my mind.
Yes, I know a lot of people react to it but it then comes down to people being educated enough to know what not to buy. I find that at least MSG is declared on labels. I have a family member who is intolerant to corn - aside from cornflour, we have to avoid dextrose, maltodextrin, glucose (unless label states that it's wheat), invert syrup, hydrolised vegetable protein, anything in the # 1400-1499 range unless it's specified, most beers and liqors - ingredient lists are not required on alcohol! By comparison, MSG is easy!

mme, Aug 2, 3:57pm
accroul even some of the ASA board members / panel thought that a consumer would take out of the claim "All natural colours and flavours" that the product did not contain any food additives.

It's a bit slippery imo!