What is in your ideal homemade burger?

cheese-mike, Sep 8, 11:56pm
We love making burgers for dinner at least once a week and are trying to come up with new ideas for what to have in them.
Or even just new combinations.

What do you love to have in a burger!

davidt4, Sep 9, 12:23am
per person:

patty of 200g very fresh minced beef, venison or lamb
salt and pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
25g butter
50g cheese (tasty cheddar, blue, gruyere), grated
1 large tomato,sliced
several large lettuce leaves

Form meat into a thick patty and refrigerate.Fry onion in butter over low heat until caramelised - 15 minutes.Remove onion from pan and turn heat up.Salt patty and fry over high heat until crusty and brown on both sides, slightly pink inside.Arrange cheese on top of patty to melt.

Arrange leaves on plate, place patty on top.Immediately add tomato to pan and toss to warm.Place onions on patty, then tomato.Salt and pepper.

Add a fried egg if you like.

N.B . No bun involved.

oooooowwwwww, Sep 9, 12:24am
deep fried hash brown, bacon, chicken pattie, lettuce, mayo, pineapple and bbq sauce. YUM

oooooowwwwww, Sep 9, 12:24am
oh and i forgot to say cheese of course

pickles7, Sep 9, 12:53am
I set up a tray like "subway" and we all make our own. I toast the buns and cook the patties, eggs and bacon. I buy a lot of olives etc from the deli in the small plastic containers.

keewee_mel, Sep 9, 1:09am
Chicken breast slices and streaky bacon, both pan fried.

Split a nice fresh bun (I often use a bap) and lightly toast the outside. Then flip over, put cheese on the 'lid' and grill.

I usually get the bottom out of the oven after a couple of minutes toasting, and begin assembling with the chicken and bacon, cos lettuce, tomato, red onion rings, beetroot, avocado, aioli.

By the time I'm finished, the cheese is just melted enough. Get the lid out of the oven (trying not to burn fingers) and put on top. Then I push a bamboo skewer through to hold it all together.:)

wildflower, Sep 9, 3:03am
I make the patties by mincing lean beef and adding seasonings, then coleslaw (or lettuce), gherkin, homemade beetroot chutney and when I'm cooking the second side of the pattie I melt a slice of cheese on it which makes it really nice and helps hold it together better.

Beetroot chutney - 1 or 2 cans drained and blended (or fresh if available), 1 c brown sugar, 1 c vinegar, orange zest and simmer until reduced.Beautiful:)

angel404, Sep 9, 3:10am
This is what I do except I use ciabatta buns. Sometimes I also add in a fried pineapple ring.

mypeaches, Sep 9, 9:46am
We sometimes use cheese muffin splits instead of hamburger buns :-)
Fillings have included (but not all at the same time!) long-sliced sausage, ham steak, meat pattie, crumbed chicken fillet . . . beetroot, cheese, tomato, dressing, pineapple, sauce, gherkin, onion (brown, red, spring), salad greens, coleslaw

texastwo, Sep 9, 9:21pm
Thats interesting but brings me to ask .who'sbuns do you like. Personally I like day old supermarket baked buns because they are usually just a little bit firmer. I find that most of the supply bakeries buns tend to be a bit soft and crumble by the time you put the hot patty, sauce and all the other bits in it.

cgvl, Sep 10, 12:10am
ours are sauce, pattie, cheese slice, onion rings (fried), bacon, egg, pineapple on bottom bun. On top bun mayo, lettuce, tomato, another pattie (not always) and beetroot.
Use knife and fork and eat separately, too big to eat as one.
Dont always have the pineapple or beetroot.
Usually set up a make your own station, ie all fillings out in a line on bench or table.

sarahb5, Sep 10, 2:07am
Must have sliced gherkin, onion, tomato, lettuce and cheese but I'm less fussy about what goes into it than what doesn't - the ideal burger for me must NOT have pineapple, egg or beetroot

valentino, Sep 10, 2:35am
Do you have a breadmaker!
Quite often I do what I normally do for a plain bread but only on the "Dough Cycle".

Then one can add whatever into the dough before splitting into larger than normal size buns or sizes to suit certain members, ensure they are only about an inch thick at the most though and a slightly hollow top in the middle as the middle can arise higher than clser to the edge.

Then a nice meat mixture, salad leaves, beetroot, pickled cucumber or gherkins, an egg.

The sauces are tomato under the meat and Dijonmaise spread on the other bun plus a wee bit of either BBQ or honey mustard in the middle.

I love my buns to be toasted then retoasted with grated tasty cheese on each half of the bun.

Sometimes may add a pineapple ring especially if the meat is a very large piece of Ham about 10 to 15 mm thick and about 100 to 150mm oblong shape (buns made to suit).

Meat mixture is of Pure beef minced with either bacon pieces or plain and onion all finely chopped plus the odd herb or spice to suit.

Very occassionally will do a "Sausage meat only" Pattie but preferably freshly mince sausage style meats made with or like fatty pork finely minced and seasoned.

Which reminds me of one other, freshly grilled and well browned snarlers split in half lentgh-wise onto a cheesy toasted bun with the sauces plus an egg or two with some trimmings and the other sauces, this is quite surprisingly very juicy and succulent but in moderation now, lol.

Even those specialy continentals styled ones are lovely.

Cheers.

gerry64, Sep 10, 2:45am
would love to be able to make onion rings like this burger on the not quite nigella site
http://www.notquitenigella.com/

valentino, Sep 10, 2:53am
Oh, I love Fishburgers, chickenburgers and other types of meat, all with the right fillings and sauces.

liamjosh, Sep 10, 4:29am
Barbecue sauce, onion, patty, cheese, lettuce, tomato, beet root, lettuce, mayo (sometimes add an egg)

Plum sauce, chicken fillet, avocado, tomato, bacon, lettuce, aioli

Apricot sauce, patty, bacon, pineapple, tomato, lettuce, mayo

razell, Sep 10, 7:00am
What a great site!