Fish, need new ideas to cook it

rachael-leigh, Sep 9, 1:20am
sick of crumbed and batter. thought about steaming in tinfoil. what do you add to yours

biggles45, Sep 9, 1:23am
I usually poach fish in a mix of milk and water, with plenty of salt and pepper.and serve with white sauce, or for lighter white fish eg hoki parsley sauce. Have also baked it in the oven in tinfoil, add small knobs of butter, herbs, onion rings, sliced almonds to inside of fish.

herself, Sep 9, 3:18am
I love Thai fish curry.http://recipefinder.msn.co.nz/recipes/campaign1/723737/thai-fish-curryIf I haven't got broccolini or capsicums I add green beans or mung bean sprouts and aubergine or peas as the vegetable in this dish.

buzzy110, Sep 9, 3:43am
Similar to herself. I use a (gulp) commercially made curry paste - Valcom. Just cut of into big chunks, vegetables of your choice, stir fry them till hut and covered in oil, add in however much paste I want and cook a little bit more, then throw in coconut milk and bring to the boil, add in fish chunks, cover and cook for a further 1min or until the fish is just cooked through.

Yumble. I use A-royd coconut milk which has no additives and is quite thick.

ryanm2, Sep 9, 3:51am
I love red curry fish. We use the Exotic brand curry pastes - easy healthy meal (except for the sodium in the paste). Pays to buy a better quality fish though.

iriegirl, Sep 9, 4:14am
I make blackened fish quite alot, I can post the spice mix for you if you want, or you could just use a commercial cajan mix. Really nice with salad or a creamy sweet potato mash.

devalois, Sep 9, 4:34am
Poached is beautiful: we do ours in a shallow dish in the microwave. We put slivers of butter and season well, and add either white wine, OR milk: add both, and it curdles. It is absolutely beautiful, and very nourishing. Shades of steamed fish for invalids! But.very, very nice. Serve with loads of mashed sopuds, done with lots of butter, of course.and some diced carrots, broccoli florets. Another neat idea to use heaps of vegetables that don't weigh you down, is steamed sliced cabbage, finely sliced leek, sliced capsicum (red, orange and yellow), sping onions, broccoli and cauli florets. Done in the microwave with a knob of butter and seasoned, or stir fry gently with a bit of butter and olive oil. This is beautiful, and one of our favourites. We sometimes stir through some Soba noodles just before taking it off the heat, so you're getting your carbs froim them. devalois

village.green, Sep 9, 11:08pm
I've had this recipe stuck onmy fridge for years and it did it weekly for ages and ages as I was in the same boat as you. It's called Tasty Fish Bake by Daryl Crimp.
4 fillets of fish any type
1 Tbs minced ginger
1 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs olive oil
rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 Tbs mustard (any type)
1 Tbs sweet chilli sauce
hand of basil or rosemary.
Arrange fillets in a baking dish.
Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl and pour over the fish.
Bake in preheated oven 200oC for 10-15 mins.

The ingredients list looks big but I always have those in my pantry. It really is a very tasty recipe.