Chocolate cake recipe with no sugar or

tekeflapz, Aug 12, 12:42am
vanilla essence.
ok so i have caster sugar but no normal sugar and i dont have any vanilla essence,nor much baking powder left lol. i have just about everything else. would like a recipe please.
Have used the search bar and it all has ingrediants i dont lol help please

ange164, Aug 12, 12:47am
Have you got an edmonds cook book!
There's a basic chocolate cake in there.
Don't worry about the lack of vanilla essence, just leave it out.
Use castor sugar where it says regular sugar.
It'll be fine. Promise. If you don't have the book I can type it up for you.

tekeflapz, Aug 12, 12:53am
could you type it for me please. im a learner so am yet to invest in a cook book :) i have baked a few things and they have turned out fab which im quite proud of lol,even did my boys cookie monster cake and the other week someone on here helped me through a caramel crumble :)

245sam, Aug 12, 1:01am
tekeflapz, for a chocolate cake recipe try doing a search here on the Recipes MB using chocolate cake as the Keywords and Last year as the Date posted option.

Re the sugar and vanilla essence - as ange164 has advised.just use your caster sugar and "don't worry about the lack of vanilla essence".

Re the baking powder - you may find a recipe that states self-raising flour otherwise my suggestions are
use all self-raising flour, if you have it
or use
plain flour + whatever baking powder you have in the proportions of 1-2 tsp per 1 cup flour, then use self-raising flour (again, if you have it) for the remaining required flour
or use
plain flour + whatever baking powder you have in the proportions of 1-2 tsp per 1 cup flour, then for the remaining flour that the recipe requires and assuming that you have them, use 1 tsp cream of tartar + ½ tsp baking soda for each remaining required cup of flour
or again, assuming that you have both cream of tartar + baking soda, forget about your limited quantity of baking powder and just use the cream of tartar + baking soda as a baking powder alternative.

I do not use baking powder at all nowdays and instead I substitute cream of tartar + baking soda - for 1 tsp baking powder I use 1 tsp cream of tartar + ½ tsp baking soda.

Hope these suggestions help.:-))

angel404, Aug 12, 1:15am
Sam does the cream of tartar + baking soda yield better results!

ange164, Aug 12, 1:21am
Edmonds chocolate cake

175 grams butter softened.
1 t vanilla essence
1 & 3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c cocoa
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 c milk

Cream butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift cocoa, flour and baking powder together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. (a bit of each, at a time) Pour mixture into a greased and lined 22cm round cake tin. Bake at 180○C for 30 mins or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Leave in tin for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire cooling rack. When cold, Ice with chocolate icing, or dust with icing sugar.

245sam, Aug 12, 1:47am
angel404, since ceasing to have baking powder on hand, for several reasons I haven't made a wide variety of baked goods but for those I have made I really haven't noticed any significant difference.

I am making a very real effort to limit the number of pre-prepared items in the pantry in general and I just like the fact that baking powder is one less of those items - IMO it's easier to have the cream of tartar and very versatile baking soda in the pantry and then use them if, when and as required. :-))