Browning meat for a casserole

jessie981, Aug 13, 5:41am
do you drain liquid or add to dish!

datoofairy, Aug 13, 5:44am
You shouldnt really have any liquid. The meat should be just quickly seared in a hot pan with only a little oil if needed, just to brown the meat. If you've got liquid, the pan isnt hot enough or you have too much meat in there at once.

ETA: Thats my thoughts anyway, however I fully concede I'm no chef so others may brown their meat differently :o)

jessie981, Aug 13, 5:46am
Probably both datoofairy, so best to tip liquid off! Haven't made a casserole in yonks.

whitehead., Aug 13, 5:47am
you should brown by rolling your meat in flour to lightly coat then brown in a little oil or butter a few at a time do not over crowd the pan .place your browned meat in your casserole as you go then when all is browned toss your onions in the pan add to your meat and clean the pan to get all the crusty bits off with a cup of wine or water tip this into your casserole add salt and pepper carrots and any veg you wont put the lid on and cook for an hour and ahalf at 160 or 300

datoofairy, Aug 13, 5:48am
I would add the liquid in, unless it was mainly fat.

whitehead., Aug 13, 5:49am
if you have cooked your casserole and its not brown you can if its not salty you can use grave browning or burnt sugar to colour or soy sause

jessie981, Aug 13, 6:13am
Thanx for your help. Hope it tastes ok.