Help Lemon curd

suie1, Oct 20, 5:51am
x1
My recipe says 1 cup of lemon juice & only 3/4 cup sugar, it seems too sour, how much sugar should I need for this much juice

denbru, Oct 20, 5:59am
Hi suie1 this is the recipe I use and it is delicious

4 eggs
1 ½ cupsSugar
100 g butter, cut into little pieces
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons

Method

Place the eggs and sugar in a large microwave proof bowl or jug. Whisk with a wire whisk until well combined. Add the butter, lemon juice and rind. Cook on high for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring every minute until the mixture is smooth, thick and creamy. Cool for 5 minutes then pour into warm clean jars. Seal when cold and store in the fridge.
Perfect on toast, ice cream or serve with lemon cakes or in tarts

suie1, Oct 20, 7:30am
This was my recipe 2 eggs, 1 C Lemon Juice 3/4 C Sugar, 50g butter,
it was really runny & sour, so to put it right I had to add another 3/4 C sugar & 6 eggs! It was the Edmonds recipe book which is usually trustworthy!

thetehorokid, Oct 20, 8:19am
I've been making this one from The Australian Womens' Weekly Fruit and Vegetable Cookbook. It is very YUM. :-)

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated Lemon rind
1/2 cup Lemon juice
1/4 cup water
125g butter, chopped

Combine all ingredients in top half of double saucepan or in heatproof bowl. Stir constantly over simmering water until mixture thickly coats back of a wooden spoon. Pour into hot sterilised jars; seal when cold.
Makes about 3 cups.

Especially good on toasted Fruit Muffins. :-)

birdie211, Apr 17, 12:52am
hi just found this thread, wondering if anyone could please let me now if you can use that store bought lemon juice or is real lemons best, also how long does it keep in the fridge for and lastly can you make any flavour etc replace lemon juice with orange or limes, thanks heaps

timetable, Apr 17, 1:20am
store bought would be ok but i have found it is cheaper to buy the lemons and use that ... . will keep in the fridge for up to a month when using... after that keep an eye on it due to the eggs being in the mixture... . yep basic recip's as posted and just add whatever juice you want too - the secret is slow cooking, so that it thickens, and dosn't curdle - have fun! ! !

elliehen, Apr 17, 1:28am
Sounds like a misprint - not unknown in mass publishing and slack proofreading. I would send off an email to the publisher pointing it out (you'll get 'contact us' from their website).

Publishers really like to hear from readers and your email could give them a chance to make a correction before the next edition is published :)

birdie211, Apr 17, 3:14am
ok thanks for that, what recipe above would you recommend, thanks, never made it before

susieq9, Apr 17, 4:12am
I make my lemon curd now without eggs and using zucchini. Really nice. Once opened, refridgerate it.

birdie211, Apr 19, 7:40am
Zucchini, really, like the vegetable zucchini, how much would you use to replace the egg, do you grate it? sorry just dont see the comparision sorry lol

susieq9, Feb 16, 1:08pm
Lemon Zucchini Honey(Curd). 1kg zucchini - peel green ones or leave skin on yellow ones. 500gm sugar. 100gm butter. Juice and zest of 4 lemons. Slice zucchini and steam or cook in microwave until tender. Puree. Place puree in pot with all other ingrediants. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolved. Boil approx 30 minutes until thick and creamy. Pour into sterilised jars and seal. Refridgerate after opening.