Ways To Cook Schnitzels?

Page 1 / 2
04redsox, Aug 13, 9:15pm
Okay, I know the classic preparation of flour/egg/breadcrumb and then fry. I have also tried to stir-fry them, but not so successfully. They come out tough. Any suggestions on how to improve them in stir-fries!

What I would really love, however, is some other ideas on how you can cook them. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

geldof, Aug 13, 10:16pm
Schnitzel only need very quick cooking otherwise it becomes tough.

I have been using a hint I read on here somewhere - Cut up schnitzel place ina bowl and add a dsp/tblsp each of cornflour and soy sauce, mix and marinate for at least 10min but can be much longer.
This tenderises the meat really well.

There is also a variation of beef olives on here using mushrooms, bacon and !cheese, rolling and topping with a stroganoff sauce mix and baking.
It's yum.

roundtop, Aug 13, 10:22pm
I have discovered Global Cruisine Parmesan Crust,this is reall good on SCHNITZEL!

roundtop, Aug 13, 10:23pm
OH and I bake it in the oven with a little rice bran oil!

teddy147, Aug 13, 10:32pm
i stuff mine with a little cheese, apricot sauce or ham then crumb and shallow fry. yum

fifie, Aug 13, 10:45pm
Baked snitzel with onions,mushrooms etc and cheese on top, Thai beef salad, Stuffed snitzel, beef olives, stir frys, depends what you like and how thick the snitzel is cut i find.

soundsie1, Aug 13, 10:50pm
i lay schnitzel in shallow dish.pour over tin of chopped seasoned tomatos.chopped mushrooms onions and cheese and breadcrumbs on top.bake for round 20mins on 180.i usually then make an instant gravy and pour over for last few minutes

04redsox, Aug 13, 11:10pm
WOW! Thanks so much to each of you. I am really overwhelmed by your generous responses. Suzanna, I'll explore the beef olives.I will try your marinade trick, geldof, and the recipe, thanks. Roundtop, I'll look for that parmesan topping- love parmesan. teddie, fifie, soundsie, all your ideas sound great, too. I am writing all this down to tuck into my cookbook, and will give them all a go.

Thanks for the inspiration- I was stuck in a rut!

fifie, Aug 14, 3:40am
redsox if u do the baked snitzel one after pan frying each piece to colour the crumbs spread some tomato relish on it or your favourite chutney,before adding the onions,mushrooms,tomatoes, cheese etc gives it a bit more flavour. Wrap each piece in tinfoil then bake, open up foil last 30 mins for top to brown up.

04redsox, Aug 14, 4:47am
Yum, that sounds great. We like spicy/chutney flavours here! I was going to put them in an oven dish, so it is good you told me to wrap separately. Thanks fifie.

lythande1, Aug 14, 5:22am
Pan isn't hot enough and you cooked them too long.
I use it for stirfry often.
Sometimes I'll stuff them with things like mushroom and things. Never stuffing, that's gross, got fed that once, yuk.
Like: mushroom and finely chopped onion, make parcel, place in baking dish with tomato, oregano, pepper, zucchini, bake till tender.
Thicken sauce a bit.

petal1955, Aug 14, 6:24am
Marinate the schnitzel in a little lemon juice for a hour before hand. drain off the lemon juice pat dry the meat then flour egg and crumb and cook quickly in hot oil

ravenraye, Aug 14, 7:05am
Cut schnitzel in half, mashed banana, other half on top.Or do roll-ups. Used to make this many moons ago when I was married - he liked it !

04redsox, Aug 14, 8:11am
Thank you! So many good ideas here!

tigerlilly16, Aug 14, 12:27pm
when I use it for stir-fry I quickly flash fry the meat, cut in strips, for just a minute or 2 till it loses red colour then take out of pan, cook the vegetables and add it back to pan at end for another minute that way you don't overcook it.

04redsox, Aug 14, 8:31pm
Thanks tigerlilly & lythande, I was adding them last to all the veggies. I will try it your way now!

Really grateful for all of you taking the time to help me out. I wish you all a wonderful day!

cookessentials, Aug 16, 7:07pm
Do the Swiss recipe whee they have ham and Gruyere cheese in them, rolled over and secured with a toothpick,crumbed and gently fried.

04redsox, Aug 16, 11:17pm
That sounds yummy! I made a stir fry following geldof's marinade and did the veggies first, then took them out and did the scnitzels watching the clock for exactly 2 minutes.then veg back in, quick stir, and Voila!

Perfect tender meat and crisp-tender veggies. Thanks guys!

I will try another recipe next week .

grandma, Aug 17, 12:56am
I cut mine up into quite large pieces and cook them in the crock pot with ingreds. like a stew - yummy!

04redsox, Aug 17, 1:58am
Another great idea! My crock pot doesn't get enough use, thank you.

carlosjackal, Aug 17, 4:01am
Coming from a Swiss background, we either have schnizels with Ham and Gruyere Cheese, or double crumbed: dipped in seasoned beaten egg and then breadcrumbs - (NEVER dip in flour!) then repeat. and then pan fry in butter and oil. Ensure the butter and oil is REALLY hot before putting the schnitzels in. Done this way, they are also delicious cold!

cookessentials, Aug 17, 4:28am
That is my favourite way to have them

carlosjackal, Aug 17, 10:05am
Me too! and I especially like them with Ratatouille (with a little mustard added and plenty of ground pepper) and buttered noodles! Ohhhh YUM! Just thinking about them makes me want to cook them again soon!

04redsox, Aug 17, 9:37pm
Never dip in flour! All my recipes said I should- I assumed to get the egg to adhere to the meat. But with a Swiss background you must know.so I will try it your way. When you put the ham & cheese in, do you fold them and half and toothpick shut! Then single crumb! Really appreciate your help, carlosjackal, thanks.

04redsox, Aug 17, 9:39pm
Thank you ,too beaker & cookessentials, you also made similar remarks. I have a lot to learn!