X-cut blade steak - best way to cook?

darlingmole, Aug 20, 6:11am
I normally cook gravy beef but my husband came home with the above.Don't want to ruin perfectly good meat so could someone give me their idea's on how to cook it for a stew please!

dbab, Aug 20, 6:47am
I cook it with the Continental Rich Beef casserole mix. 1 and 1/2 hours in the oven and it's beautiful.

geldof, Aug 20, 7:06am
I would cook the same way as your gravy beef. (long and slow)
I personally prefer gravy beef.

molly37, Aug 20, 7:52am
I fry it quickly to brown, along with heaps of onions. then place in a flatish dish, cover with fried onions, salt, pepper, oxo cube or something similar and a handful of flour. Pour in enough water to barely cover meat.Cover and cook for a couple of hours. Its so delicious.

puddleduck00, Aug 20, 8:04am
I'm not sure what cross cut means, but with cheaper cuts of beef I make a chilli con carne.

I cut about 1+kg into big chunks, brown it in on a high heat and then brown 2 finely chopped onions and 2 large cloves of crushed garlic. Stick it all in a slow cooker, add 1TBSP of ground cumin, 1tsp of ground corriander, a decent amount of chilli powder or chilli flakes to taste (the flakes taste bitter to me), 2 x 400g cans of diced tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups of liquid beef stock. Cook for a few hours or overnight.

After that I stick it in a pan and simmer it to reduce it. You can add frozen corn at this stage to bulk it up. And chilli beans closer to the end if you want.

Then before serving mix in finely chopped fresh coriander - stalks and all. You can serve it in tacos or tortillas with sour cream or just eat it.

If you're not going to eat it all, only add the coriander to the serving you're going to eat, otherwise it's just a waste of fresh herbs.

chatsmom, Aug 20, 8:27am
My MIL cooked it with a packet of french onion soup mix and water made up to the back of the packet. Cook in a pot on the stove on low until meat is falling apart. It is very yummy with mashed potatoes!

firemansgirl, Aug 20, 8:44am

matuq, Aug 20, 9:11am
I've covered it in French Onion soup mix, wrapped it in foil and baked in the oven.Really nice.You've reminded me about it so now I'm going to get some tomorrow and to it again.

darlingmole, Aug 20, 9:43am
that's so awesome ~ thanks heaps everyone . tomorrow nights dinner will be good after all my angst!

carlosjackal, Aug 20, 9:53am
Ooooohhhhh LOVE cross-cut blade steak in a casserole - cooked very slowly at around 150'C for about 3 - 4 hours. Just beeeeautiful!