A good hearty Chilli recipe please?

kirmag, Aug 20, 3:33am
Like that mince stuff they make in America in the old west.TIA

kirmag, Aug 20, 3:55am
Ok i've found this one but need help de-americanising it please - I have added comments by things I know I will need help with.

Texas Chili
1/4 cup really good olive oil
3 pounds beef chunks - what beef would u suggest gravy beef or too tough!
4 garlic cloves - diced
3 Tablespoons paprika
3 Tablespoons chili powder
3 chili peppers - diced
1 Teaspoon curmin seed
3 Teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons white peppers
1 tablespoons diced sweet pepper pods - what are these!
1 1/2 quarts water
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons flour
6 teaspoons cornmeal - what is this!
2 cans tomato sauce - soup not sauce right!
Sear beef in olive oil until brown.Add water and simmer for 2 hours.Add all seasonings and sugar, cook slowly for 3 to 4 hours more.Just before serving, thicken with flour and cornmeal, moistened with water.Add 4 cans of several red kidney beans.

sarahb5, Aug 20, 4:22am
Mine is much easier than that and doesn't even need a recipe:

Fry a large chopped onion and a couple of cloves of garlic in olive oil until soft.Add 500g mince and fry until brown.Add a tin of Watties mexican spiced tomatoes, a can of drained red kidney beans, 1/2 tsp of chilli powder and 1 tsp of cocoa.Bring to the boil, simmer for approx 20 minutes.Taste, adjust seasoning, enjoy.

You can add different flavourings but this is what works for us.The cocoa enriches and thickens the sauce.This is a "go to" recipe for me - we have it with rice, jacket potatoes, tortillas or corn chips.Tastes better the second day.

janny3, Aug 20, 5:21pm
I like both the chunks of meat and the mince together in the same pot http://myfavoritethings-miranda.blogspot.co.nz/2012/08/slow-cooker-in-your-sleep-chili.html!spref=fb