Recipe for Lactose Free Ice Cream?

mandi, Aug 12, 9:06am
Hi there, can anyone help me out with a recipe for lactose free ice-cream with ingrediants that can be found in a small town!I have a daughter who is lactose intolerant, and I find the supermarket lactose free ice-cream incredibly expensive for a small amount.Can anyone help please!TIA.

jaxma, Aug 12, 9:13am
Here is a recipe I found by googling "Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipes".Personally though, I wouldn't use soy milk, I'd use almond milk and coconut milk powder.I don't trust soy (watch me get beaten down in flames now)!
http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/dessertsbeverages/r/vanillaicecream.htm

jaxma, Aug 12, 9:15am

mandi, Aug 12, 9:29am
Thank you - much appreciated.What is soy creamer!Don't think it's something I can find in our local supermarket, products can be a bit limited here.

frances1266, Aug 12, 8:16pm
Have you tried the banana icecream made by freezing banana and processing in a food processor until the consistency of a cream freeze.
You can add cocoa for choc flavour and replace around 1/3rd of the banana for frozen berries.It is really good.There is a utube clip on Miyoko's Kitchen showing her making it.Is yummy and very economical to make.
Dont think you can get soy creamer here, is an American product as far as I know.

frances1266, Aug 12, 8:19pm
Glutenfree Goddess site has a nice looking dairy free ice cream recipe.

mandi, Aug 13, 4:38am
Thanks frances1266, daughter doesn't like bananas (typical fussy teenager!) but the Glutenfree Goddess recipe sounds lovely, daughter is keen to try that one!Cheers!

frances1266, Aug 13, 6:44am
Let me know what you think of it. It sounds really good.I have made a few of her recipes and they are really goodl There is a book called (i think) vegan vice cream that might be worth a look if the Gluten free goddess recipe doesnt turn out. It will probably be in your library.The banana ice cream doesnt taste like banana at all, she might be interested after watching the utube clip of Miyoko's kitchen.Just in case she doesnt like the glutenfree goddess's ice cream.

pom-pom, Aug 13, 8:41am
Make a sorbet - fresh lemon juice and sugar syrup - google a recipe (3 ingredients only - it comes out like snow and tastes really refreshing!

mandi, Aug 20, 10:10am
For anyone who's interested - I've tried the Peanut Butter Ice-Cream recipe as per the Glutenfree Goddesses website.I couldn't get hold of coconut oil so I used Macadamia Nut oil instead, and I left out the xanthan gum which I also couldn't source and invested in an icecream maker.So all in all the ice-cream was very well recieved, although we all found it a bit on the sweet side, so next time I will cut the sugar back a bit, looking forward to finding some more recipes!
Thanks pom-pom will definitely be doing some sorbets in the summer, at the moment it's just too cold and wet and horrible to even think about them!Thanks all for your help :0]

frances1266, Aug 20, 10:17am
The xanthan gum would make the ice cream creamy consistency.
Health food shops have it and I think Bin Inn has it also.
Glad you liked it.I will try it in summer!

village.green, Aug 21, 2:38am
Look up icecream made using coconut milk/cream. Great for those lactose intolerant.

mandi, Aug 21, 3:49am
Frances - thanks for explaining what the xanthan gum is for - I had no idea, I did try our Bin Inn equivalent which is Simply Food and they didn't have the gum.Will try the Health shop for next time I make it.
Thanks village.green I will do so, looking forward to 'playing' with my new kitchen toy!