Baking in black baking tins

matuq, Aug 16, 8:27am
Does anyone find that cakes done in these black tins tend to burn!I wish I had my old silver one with the "egg cup" thingy in the middle but I have no idea what I did with it.I think (and I could be wrong) that black just draws the heat more.Am going to hunt around for something other than that colour.

cgvl, Aug 16, 8:50am
all my baking tins are black . mostly through age but no I don't have a problem with cakes burning.
Are you sure that the oven isn't too hot. Most of my recipes say bake at 180C but I find that my new oven is too hot at that temp and tend to turn it down to 170C. This means the cakes and loaves don't get too dry and or burn on outside.

sarahb5, Aug 16, 9:03am
Same - I have one silver tin but it isn't non-stick so I only use it for non bake slices and similar.But I too find that my oven is too hot for baking so I turn it down by at least 10 degrees from what the recipe recommends.

245sam, Aug 16, 9:13am
I'm assuming that matuq has tins that have black painted bottoms (i.e. black on the outside not necessarily on the inside).The reason I'm thinking that is because I have two 12-hole muffin tins - one is silver coloured inside and out, the other is silver coloured on the inside and black painted on the outside, not black through age, it was black when bought.I quickly found that when I baked in them, side by side in the oven, the muffins from the black bottomed tin always came out darker than those from the all over silver tin.:-))

macandrosie, Aug 16, 9:44am
Are the black lined tins a sort of teflon coating! I think some of the newer tins are made of a lighter material, so maybe you do need to put the heat down a little as" cgvl" suggested. You could always keep your eye out in second hand shops for older baking tins, I've seen plenty around.

matuq, Aug 17, 9:16am
Well, looking at the replies I think the heat of the oven could be the problem.Still going to look around for different tins though.I haven't had these tins for very long at all so will still look around as well for something a bit different.But definitely going to try something this weekend with the oven down a bit.Thx all

kinna54, Aug 17, 9:21am
Are you lining the cake pans: ie with baking paper. I would recommend that.
Also if you are using cooking spray that can make a difference.and are you cooking on plain bake setting on your oven, not fan bake.that makes at least 10 degrees difference

fifie, Aug 17, 9:49am
My pennies worth, when i shifted house threw out all my old tins etc, thinking will get new ones for my new kitchen. Bought new silicone tins,muffin trays etc hated them, got rid of them bought new metal tins etc, cake tins lined with baking paper worked and so did the muffin tins, my texas muffin tinsworked well with layers of brown paper for my mini xmas cakes, but some of others hopeless so am picking up the odd old onefrom the op shop, lesson learn't, along with altering the oven temp a bit.

matuq, Aug 17, 9:50am
Yes I did line the tins and have to say that it did help (just remembered I did that).But the cake tin I have is kind of "scallopped" (don't know how to describe it so I'm not able to line that one.Darn it.I'd forgotten I did the lining with baking paper before posting.

kinna54, Aug 18, 2:43am
think I know what you are talking about.that type of cake pan I think has a teflon lining.and they feel quite thin compared to the older metallic stye pans.
Sounds like you did everything correct, but your oven temp is too high.if using that cake pan again, I would definitely lower the temp by 10 -20 degrees.
The new silicon floppy type pans also cook faster as well,so I tend to lower the temperature by a few degrees when using those too.

bambi58, Aug 18, 10:33am
Well, I really don't like those teflon coated baking tins! I was forced to replace a favourite tin (really old Bonco) after it got wrecked last summer, by an overenthusiastic dish washer (who took all the carefully cultivated patina off it!) and when I used it next it ruined a normally easy reliable cake. I got a recomended teflon coated thing, and even adjusted the oven (gas), but it made a real mess of the cake, stuck like **** and cooked unevenly. I gave it to my Daughter inlaw and she loves it! No accounting for taste.
I'm now scouring the op shops for old tins. They really are much better to cook with, more even baking and if they're treated right last for ever. I've never had to line my tins, I used to grease them with butter, now I use cooking spray, works a treat.
I'm sure they're a lot thicker tin too, the new tin omnes are very light, but I haven't tried them yet.
I think I'll stick to my good old Boncos!

deus701, Aug 18, 2:41pm
Goods baked in black tins colour faster, due to black absorb the heat better than those metallic/silver ones (reflect heat). No need for the fancy coating, I usually just brush abit of oil/butter in the inner tin and dust with flour (When no one is looking, I chuck the lightly oiled tins into the flour bin n give a sharp tap to get rid off the excess flour)

The only brand of silicone bakeware I use would be silikomart. (I have heaps and they come in different sizes) http://www.silikomart.com/

buzzy110, Aug 19, 12:48am
Thanks for that link. They have exactly what I am looking for.

griffo4, Aug 19, 1:00am
l bought some cheap ones from the warehouse and they have blistered and the inside paint is coming off and l used baking paper in them
They felt cheap and nasty when l bought them and they have confirmed that to me
luckily l haven't thrown out my old favourites they might not look good but they work well

deus701, Aug 21, 2:22pm
Just curious, what shapes were you after! There is a shop at north shore who sells them around $10-20 cheaper than other kitchen shops. Some of them has really old Silikomart packaging that belongs in the 70s but i tried them and still works fine

annie.nz, Aug 21, 9:07pm
Don't forget TradeMe if you're looking for old tins in good condition.I put a watch on for cake tins, and it took a couple of months but I ended up with a couple of brilliant, well-conditioned and well-made expanding cake and slice tins.Moore Wilson in Wellington are also selling the old style expanding tins in the same metal, not sure if they're the same weight, but they look pretty good.I was sorely tempted to get some just on principle, but my rubbish F&P oven is too small to cook two trays of anything at once, convection or no convection.