Sour dough starter query

annabellesmummy, Aug 21, 8:36am
I have started a starter and it is doing really well on only day 2. It doubles in size between feedings(I hink i am up to feed three). The recipe states not to use the starter before the firstweek is up. It just seems way to wastefull to get rid of half of my starter.

What was your experience!

carlosjackal, Aug 21, 8:48am
I've had the same sourdough starter since the end of January. It's really important to dispose of 1 cup at each feed as it doubles everytime you feed it. Try not to think of it as waste.you feed it.it doubles.if you keep doing that and not throwing 1 cup out each time, imagine how much you'll end up with! You have to think realistically.

mwood, Aug 21, 8:50am
you can use it as a "yeast" starter for wheat bread as, if it is missing anything, it is only the bacteria for lacto fermenting the rye.

carlosjackal, Aug 21, 8:51am
Pancakes made with sourdough starter are really light and fluffy and a good way to use up some of the starter if you have quite a lot.

annabellesmummy, Aug 21, 8:53am
I guess I am impatient and want to try out my new pet.

carlosjackal, Aug 21, 8:54am
Sourdough Pancakes

Ingredients:
2 cups sourdough starter, room temperature*
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 egg
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon warm water
* The night before using your sourdough starter, remove from refrigerator and let come to room temperature.

Preparation:
In a large bowl, add sourdough starter, sugar, egg, olive oil, and salt; mix well; set aside.
In a small bowl, dilute 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 tablespoon of warm water. Important: Only add baking soda/water mixture to the pancake batter just before you are ready to cook the pancakes.
When ready to cook your sourdough pancakes, fold the baking soda/water mixture gently into the prepared pancake batter (do not beat). This will cause a gentle foaming and rising action in the batter. Let the mixture bubble and foam a minute or two.

annabellesmummy, Aug 21, 9:00am
Thank you will save that one ffor use. Thank you

carlosjackal, Aug 21, 9:06am
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/sourdough-troubleshooting-faq

You should find this link very helpful if you are realatively new to sourdough starters.

annabellesmummy, Aug 21, 9:25am
Thank you. I have just split the starter and fed them both. One i switched to white and the other i kept rye

mwood, Aug 21, 10:17am
Correct only feed the white with wheat flour and the odd bit of sugar - take out a cupfull to make wheat bread replace with 50/50 wheat flour water. Use the other for rye breads (sourdough).

carlosjackal, Aug 21, 9:49pm
When your sourdough starter becomes very active with regular feeding, you can change the flour you use. I've never heard of adding sugar to a starter.

carlosjackal, Aug 21, 9:54pm
I have 2 cultures (sourdough starters) - 1 I initially made with pineapple juice and the other with squashed grapes. All natural sugar and yeast from the grape skins. 1 I used wholewheat flour, the other plain flour. Wholewheat flour is more active than plain flour - but both will yield a healthy starter.

mwood, Aug 22, 1:04am
A teaspoon of sugar can be added with a spoonful of yeast as a feeder to help the yeast grow quickly. This is for a wheat flour starter where you are looking for a "killer" yeast to dominate and not secondary lacto bacteria. Sour dough starters are intended for rye flour breads. An understanding of beer brewing is helpful.

carlosjackal, Aug 22, 1:24am
Sourdough starters are not intended for rye flour breads only. I have been making Sourdough Ciabatta (not a rye bread) for a long time now and not been adding sugar or yeast to the starter. The Sourdough Ciabatta recipe calls for a small amount of sugar and some yeast - but not the starter.

The starter I have is very healthy.very active and it does not have any rye or wholewheat flour in it. I have another one that has, but it isn't any more active than the white flour one.

mwood, Aug 22, 1:53am
"carlosjackal" you are talking about Sourdough, I was replying to the OP who is using the surplus starter to form a separate wheat bread starter. I have no interest in Sourdough "techniques".
quote :"Thank you. I have just split the starter and fed them both. One i switched to white and the other i kept rye
annabellesmummy"

carlosjackal, Aug 22, 1:58am
Sorry, but you did say that sourdough starters are intended for Rye Flour Breads. They are not intended for Rye Flour Breads ONLY.

mwood, Aug 22, 2:06am
Nor did I say that ! LOL