Home kill pork

fourz, Aug 28, 6:32am
Can anyone tell me if a pig once killed needs to be hung like beef does. And if so how long is recommended!

1buzemum, Aug 28, 8:43am
no we have never hung pork, just lamb and beef (and all wild animals)

shop-a-holic, Aug 28, 10:36am
Maybe another thread that should be in the Farming one.

All meat needs to be hung for a period. I would personally hang the pig just as long as you hanged the other one.

Good luck for your experiment.

dezzie, Aug 28, 6:48pm
pork gets "bone taint" so its best to do it quite quickly, chops can be a bit problematic to cut neatly, so we used to sit them as "racks" in the fridge til the next day then cut them up, but about 3 hours in the freezer firms them up nicely for ease of slicing as well.a handy tip is to score for your crackling when its a whole side, its much easier, we used a stanley knife for that.before you cut it in half, the collar is quite a nice roast, so thats basically the neck, take off the head, then the neck back to the front of the shoulders.about 3-4 inches depending on how big your pig is, its a bit fatty so cook it on a rack, but its truly tender and nice.

marblicious, Aug 28, 8:24pm
Crazy advice.

fourz, Aug 28, 10:31pm
Thanks people for you advice and for dezzie, great advice and help I have never bought a pig from home kill before so was unsure on what to do with it.Its coming already cut up.Dont know that I would trust my husband on that score lolHad a laugh at the other Home Kill thread lol