Chelsea Low GI sugar v Raw Sugar

jaci1, Aug 28, 11:43pm
Can someone tell me if there is a difference between the two sugars. I've read the info on the packet and they have the same numbers and ingredients (cane sugar), but one is labelled low GI and I know is suited to my diabetic BIL. But just wondering if raw sugar is the same because the info is all the same but obviously not 'marketed' to be low GI and is cheaper. TIA.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 28, 11:50pm
Are you using it for your diabeticBIL! If so, then sugars will not be good idea for him.

sarahb5, Aug 28, 11:53pm
I don't think ordinary raw sugar would be any lower in GI than standard white sugar - my understanding is that it is just less processed although it does seem a little less sweet.I would've thought that if raw sugar is lower GI it would definitely be marked as such, simply from a marketing point of view if nothing else.

buzzy110, Aug 29, 12:01am
Palm sugar and Coconut sugar both have a GI rating of 35. That is 15pts less than the Chelsea Logicane low GI sugar.

I agree with BJ. Diabetics should not eat sugar.

jaci1, Aug 29, 12:11am
Sorry - I think I got my info wrong. he doesn't use the low gi sugar. I knew he had a low gi diet so was thinking of using the low gi sugar for baking for our father's day lunch on Sunday, but actually I've never seen him eat baking - but I think my sister has used splenda on occasion!

lythande1, Aug 29, 12:13am
It's crap, marketing spin.