Recipe for Biryani (indian style rice)?

aw217, Aug 28, 5:28am
I love Biryani, but dont have a recipe that is 'tried and true'. Does anyone have a good recipe I could try please!

davidt4, Aug 28, 5:34am
This is delicious.

Lamb Biriyani
Serves 4-6

Meat and marinade:

10 green cardamom pods

5 cloves 

1 piece cinnamon bark, broken into smallish pieces 

1 teaspoon coriander seeds 

400 ml yoghurt 

2 teaspoons salt 

1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder 

2-inch piece fresh ginger, finely grated

6 cloves garlic, crushed 

800g boneless lamb steak meat, cut in cubes

Grind the spices as fine as possible, then put in a bowl with the yoghurt, salt, chili powder, ginger, garlic and meat. Stir, then cover and put in the refrigerator. Let stand for at least 6 hours (ideally 12-24 hours).

Rice:

1 teaspoon saffron
2 tablespoons rose water 

500g basmati rice 

3 medium onions

6 tablespoons ghee 

10 dried apricots 

2 tablespoons almond slices, roasted 

1 teaspoon black cumin

1 piece cinnamon bark 

4 green cardamom pods

3 cloves 3 teaspoons salt

250ml milk

Crush the saffron and mix with the rose water. Let stand for several hours. 

Rinse the rice well, then cover with water and let soak for 2 hours.

Cut the onions into thin rings. Heat the ghee in a frying pan, the fry the onions over high heat for several minutes until they begin to brown; reduce heat to medium and fry until they are brownish; reduce heat to low and fry until dark brown, but not black. Put a sieve on a bowl and pour the onions and ghee through the sieve. Keep the ghee for later. Put the onion rings on a paper napkin and let cool down and dry. 

Pre-heat oven to 160°C.

Pour the ghee from the onions into a large casserole. Add the meat and marinade from the refrigerator. Put the dried apricots between the meat pieces. Put the almond slices and the crushed onion rings on top.

Bring 4 litres water to boil in a large pot. Add black cumin, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves. 
Drain the rice, then add to the boiling water. Add salt, and bring to boil again. Let boil for about 3-4 minutes, then drain. Put half the rice on top of the meat, then sprinkle half the saffron-rosewater on top. Add the second half of the rice, then the rest of the saffron-rosewater. Pour the milk over it.

Seal with tinfoil, then put in the oven and bake for 1 hour 45 minutes.

iriegirl, Aug 28, 6:30am
Yum davidt4, that sounds like a great recipe, I have some coconut Greek yoghurt at mo, how do you think that would be in it! Do you use natural unsweetened in this recipe!

davidt4, Aug 28, 6:53am
I use Gopala full fat unsweetened yoghurt.If the coconut yoghurt is unsweetenedit might be okay, but not ideal.Bear in mind that yoghurt in India is fairly thin.

nerinabeena, Aug 28, 8:10am
this is a good one from sophie gray I like to cook
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced (optional)
600g skinless chicken breast or thigh, cubed
1 tablespoon oil (you may need to use 2 more teaspoons oil)
2 tablespoons Korma (or mild) curry paste (I used Patak's)
400g can tomatoes, chopped
250ml chicken stock (I use a reduced-salt variety)
115g frozen peas
200g basmati rice
turmeric for sprinkling
fresh coriander sprigs
Step 1 Prepare all the vegetables before you begin cooking.

Step 2 Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the onion and garlic until softened but not browned. Add the cubed chicken and cook until it has lost its pinky colour. Stir in the curry paste, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 30 minutes.

Step 3 Add the potato and carrot and cook for a further 20 minutes, adding a little more stock if necessary (the chicken should be tender at the end of this cooking time).

Step 4 Meanwhile, cook the rice with a sprinkling of turmeric until tender. Drain and place in a serving dish. Spoon the curry onto the rice and stir through. Serve with a sprig of coriander.

aw217, Aug 28, 9:31am
Thanks for those, I dont have rose water and can't afford the saffron, will it matter if I miss those out do you think! Also, will have to look for black cumin at the local indian shop. Will let you know how I go.

davidt4, Aug 29, 4:36am
Saffron is pretty important in a Biryani, for appearance as well as flavour.It's a special occasion dish rather than an everyday family one.I wouldn't worry about the rosewater though.