Icing sets ?

cravis_69, Aug 27, 9:44pm
i want to start trying to do the fancy icing designs on cakes etc with the butter cream icing there is lots to choose from on here and i have no idea what is good and what isnt ! any advice with links on sets on here would be much appreciated :)

punkinthefirst, Aug 28, 12:21am
Wilton is a good brand. Their icing tubes (nozzles) are well-made and solid. Buyforcing bags, rather than a metal forcer - they're much easier on your hands.
If you are only going to pipe butter cream, and not make icing flowers, etc., you don't need a lot of different forcing nozzles - a good basic plastic chef's set with different sized plain and star tubes and a well made canvas forcing bag is all you should buy to start with. Once youwant to learn how to pipe flowers, you'll have to buy the appropriate icing tubes, but you can buy them one at a time. A medium-sized petal tube and an icing nail can be used to make a lot of different flowers.
Have fun.

annie.nz, Aug 28, 12:34am
Get plain nozzles that fit inside cloth icing bags - it pays in the long run.The plunger thingys die and then you are left with nozzles that are more difficult to use, and won't fit the little (optional) couplers you can buy to stick in the bags.

Thorndon New World have pretty good Tala icing sets for $12.something at the moment, the other New World shops may also.If I were you I'd nip into Thorndon and pick one up - they have two sets, one with 6 nozzles, and one with 8 - the one with 8 nozzles has a better selection and is better value.The tips also fit standard couplers.

Tala is a good brand, has been around for yonks. They have a seam in the steel, but it doesn't seem to affect function or durability.

Ateco is also very good - uses brass still I think, which means they don't risk rusting.Spotlight have a few, though not what you'd call a decent range, though I think they had sets the last time I was there.

Wilton is good also, stainless steel, easier to get a good range.And some of the tips Wilton make have a very good shape - google "Wilton 2d" and look at the pics, for instance.(It's a big tip though).IN Wellington, Homestore on L Quay probably has the best range.Trends in Jville have a good range on their website, but not in store - so if you order online I'd ring first to make sure they had the tips in stock, or you may be faced with several weeks' backorder delay.

Lots of NZ websites sell them, mostly Wilton.Again, make sure when you order that you specify that the order should be cancelled if not in stock.A lot of sites sell stock that they have to get in, and it adds a week or more to your delay.I strongly feel that if it needs to be backordered they should say so, and I refuse to deal with places that routinely do this.*Grump.*

It's hard to find which tips you need, so either get a basic set and go from there, or google the tip numbers and then look at the google image results to get an idea of what each tip does.

Anyway, lots of fun.As a start I'd whip into New World, stopping at Spotlight on the way.

luv2bake, Aug 29, 9:14am
the warehouse have a really cool one, will see if i can find a link to it for you

luv2bake, Aug 29, 9:18am